Rigging the jib

Post All Rigging Topics Here
Paul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Rigging the jib

Post by Paul »

Those of us with bow pulpits deal with the foot of the jib riding over the pulpit, making a less-than-smooth sail, and has to effect the pocket in some form. Noticing the picture on our home page, for instance, there is ample area above the jib to continue to haul it up.

When erecting the mast there is a 16" piece of cable that connects the jib sheet to the boom. I've wondered about using that same piece and connecting it between the bow eye and the jib, allowing the sail to be hoisted higher. My thoughts are
The higher the sail, the better the air - so get it up there
The smoother the sail the more effective the foil - so clean up the foot
Hey, I can see where I'm going! :wink:

I would appreciate your thoughts!

Paul
Tranquil Chaos
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Paul, I had a genny on EE that dragged on the deck, and I raised it a foot with a short piece of line that same way - no notice that it improved anything, but I really wasn't watching for that just wanted to get it off the deck a bit..
Padiunka

Post by Padiunka »

I have the same issue with the genoa on my 27. I was thinking of going higher with it as well. However my head sail is mounted to a CDI roller reefer. Unfoutunatly the extrusion for the reefer that mounts over the top of the forstay does not look to be long enough to accomodate the entire genoa being above the pulpit. Kind of a bummer because I hate to have it riding on anything for the simple reason I dont want it getting snagged or torn. I know I am reeplying to an old post, but I would like to know how this turned out for you, and if you saw any change performace.
1964 Buccaneer 18 ~ Bijou

1979 Chrysler 27 ~ Andante
Paul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Paul »

I doubt there will be a change in performance. Raising the jib slightly puts the least effective part (the top) marginally higher where the winds should be slightly accellerated. There would also be a slight loss at the lower end where the effect of the deck as a wing end plate is lost and air can escape under the foot of the sail.

My main issues are 1) smooth out the foot of the sail, which may help effeciency some 2) be able to see who's coming at me to operate safely.
Tranquil Chaos
hiawatha

Post by hiawatha »

I was thinking of doing this very same thing for both my genoa and jib. Partly because the view would be better- and safer. Seems like a simple fix, and worth the pocket change for the change.

C
---

1978 Chrysler C-20