Question relating to travelers

Post All Rigging Topics Here
double "D"

Question relating to travelers

Post by double "D" »

Greeting s all,
My C22 came with a traveler system for which the car needed some work to get it back in shape. I did manage to locate (Ace Hardware) line pulleys to replace the damaged ones and fabricated four channel rollers out of some fiberglass rod stock.

Having never used the system and being very inexperienced, my guess is that two lines (one from starboard and one from port) need to pass thru the center opening around each of the pulleys. Looking at the clearance between the new pulleys, they are going to have to be very thin as I only have a 3/8" gap between the two, is that acceptable? The new pulleys seem to be the same size as the old ones which are pretty beat up so it does not appear to be a problem I created during the rebuild.

Also I seem to missing hardware on each end of the traveler system and looking for recommendations on what I should purchase. Currently the boat only has the traveler channel installed just ahead of the fuel storage locker.

I see no evidence of old mounting holes but there needs to be a setup to lock the traveler in a fixed position using the lines that pass thru the traveler pulleys, correct? I have read that some systems have pins that lock the traveler but my channel has no holes for such devices. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Dan
White Water to Waves
1974 22' Sandpiper Frayed Knot
1995 20'Bayliner
14' River Raft
14' Canoe
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Hi Dan,
Sorry I did not see this sooner!

About that C22 traveler,
It is an extremely basic settup to the point of being almost un usable. I only use it when making a point to a new sailor!

There is a slide in the track that the mainsheet attatches to. This slide is not easy to move. I suppose if you clean and lube the set up it could slide easier but not really while under sail. There are pins in the track that allow you to move the traveler to a specific location and then put the pin in to keep the traveler there. I've had 3 C22's and there was no "rope" adjustable traveler system on them from the factory. Just the pin set up that had to be moved when the sail was depowered.

One of my C22's did have a very nice Harken traveler installed. Beautiful setup but in the C22 it was clumsy to use. not enough room for the lines. They would bind and catch regularly making the expensive Harken system almost as painful as the factory set up.

So, I would recommend that if you are installing a better traveller study it long and hard before drilling holes. You just might find out you installed something hard to use.

Also remember smaller diameter lines will give more room and maybe ease of use but they will bite into your hands when the wind is stiff!

Hope this helps!

Scott
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Oh yeah,
we have the rigging instructions along with many other docs available for the C22 on our main page:
http://chryslersailors.com

Just drill down in the Documents section.
Here is the link to rigging instructions:
http://chryslersailors.com/Documentatio ... itting.pdf

Scott
double "D"

Post by double "D" »

Thanks Captain Scott,
I did look at the setup in the documentation section prior to my post and what I have appears to be different. No holes drilled for locking the traveler into position with pins like some of the others have encountered. I will try and post some photos tonight.
White Water to Waves
1974 22' Sandpiper Frayed Knot
1995 20'Bayliner
14' River Raft
14' Canoe