Spreader rake

Post All Rigging Topics Here
C22Bob
Site Admin
Site Admin

Spreader rake

Post by C22Bob »

Looking to replace the stock spreaders on my C22 mast with the air foil types from Dwyer. Has anybody done that and what rake angle did you go with? The stock spreaders look like 0 degrees.
Thanks,
Bob
airshac

Post by airshac »

If you did replace your stock rakes would you like to sell them?
timlabute

Post by timlabute »

I read somewhere here that it is 5 degrees upward rake
airshac

Post by airshac »

airshac wrote:If you did replace your stock rakes would you like to sell them?
I meant spreaders... :oops:
Paul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Paul »

I've asked this question before too. My boat came with airfoils, but no bases. Replaced it all. I can't see how the original is zero degrees becasue the bases mount flush onto the mast, and it ain't square. It appears they protrude 90 degrees to the mast face. One approach I took to check this was running a string from the stay locations on each side of the boat to the center of the mast step. These three points were not in a straight line. I would love to have the foils on swivel bases of some sort to "find" their correct angle, but the bases that came were rigid - hence the concern with the angle. My fear is that with an incorrect angle, under high stress, it would leverage the base to the point that something might give. For that reason the compression ferral carries an all thread through the mast with washers & nuts on goth ends.

Paul
Tranquil Chaos
Paul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Paul »

I've asked this question before too. My boat came with airfoils, but no bases. Replaced it all. I can't see how the original is zero degrees becasue the bases mount flush onto the mast, and it ain't square. It appears they protrude 90 degrees to the mast face. One approach I took to check this was running a string from the stay locations on each side of the boat to the center of the mast step. These three points were not in a straight line. I would love to have the foils on swivel bases of some sort to "find" their correct angle, but the bases that came were rigid - hence the concern with the angle. My fear is that with an incorrect angle, under high stress, it would leverage the base to the point that something might give. For that reason the compression ferral carries an all thread through the mast with washers & nuts on both ends.

Paul
Tranquil Chaos