Is longer better?

Post All Rigging Topics Here
Gary w/C26 & LS13

Is longer better?

Post by Gary w/C26 & LS13 »

I have the option of rigging my C26 with a boom that is 1-foot longer than the stock Chysler boom. It’s a really nice Kenyon boom with an internal outhaul cable. I can always shorten the end and get back to standard length. Since I don’t have a mainsail yet, I’m wondering if having a larger main with a 1-foot longer foot be an improvement. Any advice would be appreciated.
brigadoon

Re: Is longer better?

Post by brigadoon »

Gary,
My experience is pretty much limited to lake sailing but I know that windward used to sail his 26 harder than most would be willing to and he never mentioned changing any rigging other than upgrading what was already there. You can easily Bury the rail with the winds at 15 knots . It might help if you sail a lot in light air. Personally I wouldn't go larger but that’s just a personal gut feeling. Maybe someone with real knowledge will chime in. You might put some f these questions on the general discussion board for better exsposure and more input from others.
Rick, Sv Brigadoon
Gary w/C26 & LS13

Re: Is longer better?

Post by Gary w/C26 & LS13 »

My wife hates the idea of straying from the original design. The boom I want to use can easily be shortened to mimic the length of the original boom. One reason I want to use it is it’s designed for single line reefing with two reefs. To keep things simple I’ll probably stick with the specified mainsail.