Rudder fix

Post All Rudder and Related Topics Here
Gus

Rudder fix

Post by Gus »

This was the first thing I fixed in my C-22. The original setup was leaking BADLY, so after returning home from almost sinking the boat, I took everything apart, and this is what I came up with:

I did a pretty bad job reinforcing this area, but it held after all this years. I did a fillet all around the edge, then I applied some glass.

I used the original rudder plastic bearings. I glass them to the boat. The old aluminum ring was in bad shape, so I cut it, and I took it to a machine job, and they did a new out out of stainless steel.

This is the PVC pipe glassed to the boat. With the old configuration, water will leak UNDER the liner. What I did was, I had to make the hole for the rudder a bit larger with a Dremel tool, then I epoxied and glassed the heck out of it.

This is the bottom part. I used fiberglass to held the PVC pipe to the hull, and a ton of epoxy. I mean to paint it, but I never got around doing it.

I wish I had the photos I took while I was making this repair. It took me just two days. Up to this day, dry as a bone. The worse part was going under the cockpit to glass the PVC pipe.

Gus
1976 Chrysler 22 Halve Maen - Sail # 595
NYCSAILOR

no pics !

Post by NYCSAILOR »

over the years the pics have moved or gone ! I need to make this upgrade and would benefit by the pics...
C-26, Fixed Keel # 343
C22Bob
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: no pics !

Post by C22Bob »

NYCSAILOR wrote:over the years the pics have moved or gone ! I need to make this upgrade and would benefit by the pics...

Here's a link to my Rudder Upgrade