Matt & Star

Rudder Dilemma

Post by Matt & Star »

astrorad

Post by astrorad »

Bill
astrorad

Post by astrorad »

My C22 does not have that hollow on the under side and did not have that mushroom bearing either...mine is 1976.
Bill
Matt & Star

Post by Matt & Star »

Wow, Thanks, Bill.
I didn't know that they had different designs- I just figured that the boat had run aground at some point, or perhaps was a victim of yard rash... and was fixed this way.
The inner liner is cracked aft of the post, though, so there must have been some mishap in it's life. There was no indication of any leaks from the area, just a lot of slop in the assembly.
Good to know it's a cheap and easy fix! Thanks again for the link. :)

Cheers

Matt

Oh, and mine is a 1980 (made in '79? Serial seems to suggest it...). I guess it was redesigned for whatever reason. I suppose it would eliminate the need to remove the hose from the hull bushing when it was worn, and eliminate the mess re-bedding the new fitting. As for the upper bushing, I can't yet attest to whether it can be removed easily without monkeying with the lower. That's next.
Rivercruiser
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Rivercruiser »

My C26 rudder bearings (top and bottom) are just like yours.

The rubber hose and clamps are the same too.

Recently ordered one bushing from Idarudder.

Top mushroom bushing/bearing was well worn (eroded) from the weight of the rudder/tiller assy.

BTW

:lol: Do you have a good recipe for Zebra Mussels? :lol:
C-26
Hunter 29.5
Matt & Star

Post by Matt & Star »

C22Bob
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by C22Bob »

Matt,

Check out my post titled 'Rudder Upgrade' for how I re-designed the upper support bracket and bearing. I need to upload the final pic which shows the stainless steel box enclosure and rubber boot. Hope to get that in a few days.
Rivercruiser
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Rivercruiser »

Matt,

The mushroom bushings should not be fastened to the boat. The bushings on mine just fit in the recess the bottom of the hull and in the recess in the cockpit. It is my guess that they were designed to fit tightly in the recesses and the rudder shaft would rotate in them. Don't know for sure.

The upper bushing was so worn that the lower did rotate in the recess in the hull. i had some aluminum spacers made and placed under the tiller head to raise the shaft to its original position.

Just got the new bushing from Rudder Craft in Idaho. I think I misstated Idarudder in previous post. It looks identical to the OEM bushing, and will replace the very worn upper.
C-26
Hunter 29.5
Matt & Star

Post by Matt & Star »

1980 Chrysler 22, "Free Ride", on the hard gettin' pretty.
C22Bob
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by C22Bob »