Rudder shaft and mushroom bearings

Post All Rudder and Related Topics Here
rc12ls

Rudder shaft and mushroom bearings

Post by rc12ls »

First, I'm grateful for this website and appreciate everyone holding the fort.
I purchased a 79' C26 and now learning her through. Two weeks ago I discovered a corroded rudder shaft at the rudder pivot plate and ,upon removing the shaft, I discovered dire mushroom bearings. Also, when I cut the rudder shaft from the plates, I found a second tube 20"long x 1-1/4x" x .120wall inside the outer tube which is 41" long x 1-1/2" x .125wall.
I have 2 questions:
1st) I already made mushroom bearings from Delrin. Are there any issues using this type plastic?- I guess I should have asked first. I think Delrin is a Nylon/Acrylic blend. I'm wondering if I should have used PTFE instead. Any comments ?
2nd) is the second tube I found factory or did , possibly, the previous owner knew of the corrosion and dropped in ,thru the top of outer tube, a second tube in an effort to reinforce the weakened corroded area ? Seems like the 1-1/2 o.d. x .125 outer tube would be stong enough alone (without corrosion of course)

Sorry , I tried adding pics but unable.. Thx, Eddie..
Last edited by rc12ls on Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
astrorad

Post by astrorad »

I made my rudder bearings out of delrin...this is my first season in the water...so far so good.
Bill
rc12ls

Thx for help.

Post by rc12ls »

That's very reassuring. I could not imagine any problems but I thought I'd ask..... How about the rudder tube , did you notice an extra tube down in the originalt.tube ?