Rudder Upgrade Part 2

Post All Rudder and Related Topics Here
C22Bob
Site Admin
Site Admin

Rudder Upgrade Part 2

Post by C22Bob »

Finally got my new rudder installed and posting pics. I cut this blade from a piece of 1.5" x 2' x 4' UHMWPE plastic using ordinary shop tools....belt sander, angle grinder, planer, etc. I'd like to think it conforms to the NACA 0012 airfoil specs, but there might be some slight variations. See Attached :)
Blade5.jpg
Blade4.jpg
Blade4.jpg (40.42 KiB) Viewed 8565 times
and pic showing the bottom bearing and stop collar. See Attached
Blade_Bearing.jpg

The nicest part of this rudder is how it retracts. Using a 5/8" ACME threaded rod with some linkage to the blade, the blade can be retracted and extended from the cockpit by rotating the nut at the top of the shaft. No more ropes getting tangled or hung! Basically turned the whole thing into a Jackscrew.
Some pics and a video:

IMG-20170518-00114.jpg
>>>>>>>YouTube Video<<<<<<<

Here's a link to Rudder Upgrade Part 1 that shows the finished bearing assy inside the cockpit
jsa

Post by jsa »

Very cool!!!

I've only had my Chrysler for a little over a year, but one thing that I've noticed is how the rudder control line can slip through the clam cleat under sail. As the rudder is pushed upward by the force of the water, the weather helm increases. It seems as though this would prevent that. Thanks for sharing!