trouble with the swing keel!

Post All Keel Topics Here
stan leathers

trouble with the swing keel!

Post by stan leathers »

I am a new member with a starwind 223. We developed a leak in the swingkeel when out on the ocean. There is about an inch of 3/4 brass pipe that keeps the swing keel water tight. Has anyone ever had the swing keel apart on their boat? I need information as to if the 1/2 inch steel pin in the top of the keel is fixed ( its way off center) and information as to if the 3/4 brass pipe can be unscrewed and replaced.

Stan
Mario G

Post by Mario G »

hey Stan try here

http://chryslersailing.lizards.net/

you can go to the chrysler 22 qwners manual and get a detailed veiw of the swing keek pin assembly.
stan leathers

thanks for the swing keel replace info!!

Post by stan leathers »

The drawings helped alot .. still not sure how I am going to fix this ... I think I will take a big "cheater" and try to recenter the swing pin piviot rod .... then to figure out what to do about the damaged bracket .. I am still thinking of getting a plummer to rethread the remaining stub and putting a coupling on it.

Stan
tnc110

Post by tnc110 »

I would seriously consider pulling the boat out of the water and installing new plates and a new pin...especially if the boat was in salt water much. I am a c22 owner, my pin failed, keel went to bottom of lake, boat immediately rolled over with mast pointing straight down. Not something you want take a chance with.

When I took my original plates off they were so corroded that they fell into several pieces...
Mario G

Post by Mario G »

Stan there was a thread not far back on Tnc110's lost keel adventure so he would know more then anyone what your best corse of action would be.

Is there pictures of your Starwind anywhere to veiw. They have a nice look.
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Stan, I was thinking the 223 was a sister to the Chrysler 22, but not so sure of that now - the Starwind 22 was pretty much built from the Chrysler design after they bought the rights. But the 223 came later, and carries a wider beam than the 22, and (am I right ?) also has a ballasted shoal keel with a light swing keel ? Somewhat like the C26.

At any rate, the keel pivot may be close or the same as the C22. If you can email me any pics, I'll post them, and the 22 guys can verify whether the are the same or not.
stan leathers

thank you

Post by stan leathers »

I had to run to Pennsy for a few days .. I will be back in Jersey Tuesday ... I will try to get some pics then and keep this thing moving forward!

Thanks

Stan
stan leathers

starwind 223 swing keel repaired !!

Post by stan leathers »

I found the information I got on here so helpful. I was able to get the swing keel apart and make repairs ... the boat is again water tight and ready to sail. I would gladly help anyone with the same problem.

Stan 1986 starwind 223
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Great ! Glad the board was of help...Was the design of the 223 keel bracket and pin the same as the C22 diagram ?
stan leathers

keel not the same

Post by stan leathers »

at least my 1986 starwind 223 was not the same ... hard to describe ... but my keel is pretty light and there are 2 brass floor plates with brass nipples that it swings in ... anyone with a boat of that design may have the same trouble I did .... the little spacers were not long enough and the 3 inch stainless stweel pin could go way to one side and wear that nipple through ... creating my leak
graybeard

Re: trouble with the swing keel!

Post by graybeard »

Stan Leathers! If you still are active and have advice/literature about replacing centerboard on Starwind 223- please email me
graybeard421@gmail.com
tomhahn2

Re: starwind 223 swing keel repaired !!

Post by tomhahn2 »

Stan Leathers, Graybeard and anyone else that can help with a Wellcraft built Starwind 223 center board problem - please email me at tch2112@gmail.com.

A bolt broke at the plate in the bilge above the center board cavity and now water comes in. The center board did not fall off and still operates properly. This plate is over the center board pin/hinge area. This 223 design has the shoal keel with a swing center board. The center board is fiberglass only and light weight. It is not a weighted swing keel like on a c22.

The link provided earlier in this thread is no longer active.. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
tomhahn2

Re: trouble with the swing keel!

Post by tomhahn2 »

I tried to attach pictures but they are too large.