keel pin

Post All Keel Topics Here
hadaveha

keel pin

Post by hadaveha »

ok guys I have a question for all you guys smarter than I, which I know all oF you probly are, I think I have figured a way to replace my (kill) pin with the boat still sitting on the trailer, what I am wondering is does anyone know just how far the upper portion of the keel sits inside the slot under the hull of the boat in other words how high will I have to raise the boat before the keel will be free.
david

new owner 1979 c22
ABIGAIL
mcrandall
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mcrandall »

16-inches to clear the trunk, minimum. 13.5 inches from pin hole to top of keel, plus 2.5 inches from keel pin bracket hole to bottom of hull.
Mark
http://s1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc4 ... ew%20C-22/
1975 C-22 currently named Stardust (soon to be "Angela Marie")
hadaveha

Post by hadaveha »

oh my the trailer idea might have been premature, someone might have to keep me away from myself
david

new owner 1979 c22
ABIGAIL
mcrandall
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mcrandall »

Mark
Jmckamey

Post by Jmckamey »

Hey Mark, You should take that fixture to the local marina and rent time on it. :D
1977 Chrysler 22
Ground to windward is dearly bought, but easly spent.
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

mcrandall
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mcrandall »

Great job, James! Proving once again there's more than one way to skin a cat!
Mark
hadaveha

Post by hadaveha »

I was looking at someones pics on here and it looked like they kind of droped the keel a bit and the slid it aft without it ever compleetly coming out of the slot I just cant remeber whose pics those were
david

new owner 1979 c22
ABIGAIL
Paul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Paul »

Those are my pictures. I built a sled that stayed on the trailer and was moved fore and aft by using ratcheting tie downs. The pictures are in photobucket but I don't have my day timer around rigtht now with the account info to give you a direct link.

The sled was a piece of 3/4 ply with 4 X 4's screwed to trap the keel between them. I then used the old trick of lowering the tongue as far as possible and then blocking the stern up on a stand. When the tongue was raised, it lifted the boat off the trailer.
Tranquil Chaos
hadaveha

Post by hadaveha »

paul
My trailer sits addiquitly high for me to work under, is the enough space in the slot to slide the keel streight back, or is the slot tapperd thefore the boat has to be raised anyway.
david

new owner 1979 c22
ABIGAIL
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

The keel will have to be lowered or the boat raised. The keel trunk will not allow the keel to slide straight back.

You can click my keel pin repair link in my signature and see yet another way to do this.

Scott
hadaveha

Post by hadaveha »

yes Scott that lookis kit it would work for me, my biggest problem is I will be working on gravel not a cement pad, and its not perfectly level, thats why I wanted to try and keep the stabiltythat the trailer gives me,and I am tring to keep my movements to a minimum, If I get finished with 10 finger and 10 toes I will be pretty happy
david

new owner 1979 c22
ABIGAIL
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

LOL!
I most certainly understand!

I was fortunate enough to have an extra driveway I could work in and also have Alan Hodge from here and a couple of neighbors to help.

Please use caution and common sense. Otherwise it really is not rocket science.

Scott
hadaveha

Post by hadaveha »

I definitely will, I just hope I can raise the boat enough to still slide the keel but it have just enough of the keel left in the trunk to not want to tumple over easly, if it dont work I will drop back and punt, and drink a few more beers lol
david

new owner 1979 c22
ABIGAIL
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

LOL!
Take photos of whatever you do. The more info and ideas we have here the more it will help the next guy because there definitely will be a next guy!

Scott
Paul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Paul »

Finaly got into my photobucket. Here's the link:

http://s814.photobucket.com/albums/zz65 ... denverite/
Tranquil Chaos
hadaveha

Post by hadaveha »

Paul that is excactly what I had in mind thankyou for the pics I am ready to get started
david

new owner 1979 c22
ABIGAIL
Paul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Paul »

Bear in mind that the aft part of the hull slopes upwards towards the back and the forward part slopes upward towards the bow. Therefore, tie the two supports together or they will try to creep outwards on you. I just used ratcheting tie downs to move the sled fore and aft. A come along would have been stronger and probably would have worked better. Threw the tie downs away after I was done.

Best to you!
Tranquil Chaos
hadaveha

Post by hadaveha »

ok guys 1 last question about the keel pin and I promise to leave you all alone, Does any one know where I might could find a proper drawing off the keel pin assebmly I have a couple differnt machine shops and I have talked to about looking and giving me a price.
Thank you all so much for all of your help I am taking pics as I go, I just have to get my son to help me get them online, Im still trying to figure out that damm CCR 8 track tape
david

new owner 1979 c22
ABIGAIL