Post All Keel Topics Here
excavman

The wing keel.

Post by excavman »

Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

From what I read about Chrysler Boat Division, they were way ahead of there time on designs. I have no evidence what so ever but the wing keel had to have it's roots before the rest of us noticed it the Americas cup in the Mid 1980's.

Very interesting indeed.

Thanks
Alan
It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing
Capt. Bondo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Capt. Bondo »

It's hard to tell for sure from the picture, but the ebay boat looks more like a type of bulb keel than a wing keel.
H:)ppy Place
78 Chrysler 22

You can go to a Zen Master or you can go Sailing, either way you end up in about the same place..... a Happy Place
sauerleigh

Post by sauerleigh »

The wing keel was apparently developed in Australia, patent applied for in 1981, granted in 82. The photos of your boat show what looks like a wing keel, either custom or home made.
"On 6 July 1982 Norport Pty. Ltd filed Australian Patent Application 85668/82 [23] for "Yacht Keel With Fins Near Tip", invented by Ben Lexcen. This became known as the "Winged Keel" and was used on Alan Bond's Australia II yacht during its successful challenge to the America's Cup in 1983."
1978 Chrysler 26 "Maudie Kay"
1984 Catalina 25 "REDUX" (rebuild)
It's better late than never