keel cable

Post All Keel Topics Here
hadaveha

keel cable

Post by hadaveha »

I need a new keel cable, any sugestions on lenght,size, and a good place to have one made up, Im in North Central Alabama we dont a have a lot of marine supply shops here so I have to buy most everything and have it shiped in.
Thank You
David
david

new owner 1979 c22
ABIGAIL
mcrandall
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mcrandall »

Mine is a 3/16 stainless steel rope, about 7-feet long. I buy stainless rope from Tractor Supply. Buy a crimper and make your own!
Mark
http://s1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc4 ... ew%20C-22/
1975 C-22 currently named Stardust (soon to be "Angela Marie")
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

Mine is also 3/16ths stainless cable. Was installed two or three owners ago. I do not know how long it is but would guess 7 to 8 feet.

If I had to replace it I would go to Lowe's Home Improvement in the hardware isle and have them cut me 8 foot of 3/16ths stainless cable and two cable crimping clamp thingies. Run home string the 8 foot of cable then cut it to final size. put in the crimping clamp thingies and call it good for say 10 years. All for under $30 bucks I'm thinking and a couple hours of shopping and a little metal work.

But hey, I'm cheap like that and I know it's been done right when I do the work. I've not had such good luck paying others to do so called good work and then end up re-doing it myself for a quarter the price they charged me after there work failed. :evil:

Thanks
Alan
It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing
turbo1168
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by turbo1168 »

I had one made at Seco South. They build lots of rigging for the manufacturers. I had it made of 3/16" 7X19 stainless wire. They 7X19 is the correct wire for going around a winch spool. 1X19 is more for standing rigging without a lot of bending required. I had them make it 10' long as I can shorten it when I install it. Paid $10, but they are located in my neighborhood so no shipping for me. I looked at Lowes and Home Depot, but the swage crimper was $40.

http://www.secosouth.com/mm5/merchant.m ... g_hardware
mariner

Post by mariner »

seco south is now making up all new standing rigging for me, i should be getting it this week...after talking to a bunch of companies, these guys were by far the nicest and their prices can not be beat. :D
1976 - C22
"AnneMarie"
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

turbo1168 wrote:I looked at Lowes and Home Depot, but the swage crimper was $40.
$40 for the swage crimper you'll never use again does put it out of price range - which is why I, ah, 'test drove' the crimper at Lowes right there in the store last time I made a spare cable for EE... :wink: they didn't mind a bit, but then again there was also a double door fridge 'in my shopping basket' at the moment..