Relocating the keel winch.

Post All Keel Topics Here
turbo1168
Site Admin
Site Admin

Relocating the keel winch.

Post by turbo1168 »

I'm looking to see if anyone has ever relocated the keel winch. I'm contemplating moving it aft next to the rudder post, winch itself mounted inside the port side lazzarette and the handle passing through the fiberglass wall. The previous owner single handed frequently, so he moved the winch on top of the step instead of hanging below it. I appreciate the ease and convenience of the location in the cockpit, but hate having it exposed above decks and right in the middle of the companionway. My idea is to make a compression frame, square stainless tubing with attachment plates that bolted under the step, went to the port side and then aft to the winch location. 2 blocks would be fastened to the frame, one in the usual location above the cable tube and the other at the corner of the frame letting the cable turn toward the winch. Anyone see a downfall to this idea or any suggestions?
Capt. Bondo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Capt. Bondo »

Interesting idea.
The main draw back I foresee is banging your shin on the handle and things like sheets and clothing snaging/tangling on it.
H:)ppy Place
78 Chrysler 22

You can go to a Zen Master or you can go Sailing, either way you end up in about the same place..... a Happy Place
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Does sound cool!
Maybe a quick release on the handle too! : )

Scott
turbo1168
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by turbo1168 »

Capt. Bondo wrote:Interesting idea.
The main draw back I foresee is banging your shin on the handle and things like sheets and clothing snaging/tangling on it.
69Shark wrote:Does sound cool!
Maybe a quick release on the handle too! : )

Scott
I agree 100% about not wanting to tangle the mainsheet up in the handle... especially at a critical moment. Now thinking about how to make a removable handle, would require some machining due to the handle design on the clutch winch. As far as shins go, I have already shed skin and blood on the pull-out light switch every time I went to get to the engine. Who ever thought that was a good location was crazy!
turbo1168
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by turbo1168 »

[/url]http://purplemartin.org/shop/product_in ... 45e3a53e40[/url]

I went and googled it and found a removable handle kit.
Bhacurly
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bhacurly »

nuthing to do with winches or handles,

but I love that avatar shot turbo!
turbo1168
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by turbo1168 »

Bhacurly wrote:nuthing to do with winches or handles,

but I love that avatar shot turbo!
Thanks, it was taken about 2 miles from our slip, right off the causeway to Honeymoon Island while we were anchored.
John Stahl

Post by John Stahl »

how about a electric winch with a remote switch?? it would be easy too
There is no right way to do the wrong thing.
"Puffen" 1978 C-26
This photo is how I found her
turbo1168
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by turbo1168 »

John Stahl wrote:how about a electric winch with a remote switch?? it would be easy too
Trust me, I seriously considered an electric winch, but I have decided to K.I.S.S. Besides the initial cost for the winch, wiring, switches, etc. I like the simplicity and reliability of the manual unit, just don't like the location.
Capt. Bondo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Capt. Bondo »

I have a electric winch on my C22, and I had the same thought.
The issue is that the electric winch could rip the bridge deck right out if your not paying attention when the keel becomes fully retracted :cry:
I have marked my keel cable every foot so I can count down to keel up with out putting extra stress on the bridge deck when the keel get fully retracted.
...If you can figure out a way to turn off the electric winch automatically when the keel is just about 1 inch from full up, then the electric winch option would be ideal :D unless you loose power :shock:
H:)ppy Place
78 Chrysler 22

You can go to a Zen Master or you can go Sailing, either way you end up in about the same place..... a Happy Place
turbo1168
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by turbo1168 »

Capt. Bondo wrote:I have a electric winch on my C22, and I had the same thought.
The issue is that the electric winch could rip the bridge deck right out if your not paying attention when the keel becomes fully retracted :cry:
I have marked my keel cable every foot so I can count down to keel up with out putting extra stress on the bridge deck when the keel get fully retracted.
...If you can figure out a way to turn off the electric winch automatically when the keel is just about 1 inch from full up, then the electric winch option would be ideal :D unless you loose power :shock:
I did have some ideas for having an electric winch and having switched stops. One was to have a divided spool for a second cable, this one smaller with a flag on it. This second cable would go aft and be secured at the end with a bungee. As the winch went up and down it would pull and release the second flagged cable as well, allowing it to make and break contacts on forked arm switches. Another idea was to mount the winch aft under the cockpit so the main cable could have the flag attached to it. Same principle here, just a way to "sense" when the keel was all the way up or down. Even more complex would be to mount a potentiometer or encoder to the winch spool and have a display showing the keel location by percentage. Would be reasonable to connect a few circuits to it to make "stops". After all my brainstorming though, I decided just to put the mechanical winch where it's easily accessible. :lol:

This guy used switches for full up and down too. Check out his video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAAfmLrdZ6E
Jmckamey

Post by Jmckamey »

Iv'e seen electric wench's with back up manual handle at northern tool for around 60.00. The plastic case they are in would have to be modified somewhat, but they come with several feet of remote control cable and are rated for 1500lbs. If you pay attention to the wench you can hear it when it is all the way up or down. :wink:
1977 Chrysler 22
Ground to windward is dearly bought, but easly spent.
thepartydog

Post by thepartydog »

Thanks, it was taken about 2 miles from our slip, right off the causeway to Honeymoon Island while we were anchored.
Saw Honeymoon Island and knew you were in Dunedin without looking at your sig. "Ya Never Know" got pirated just a little north of there at Crystal Beach.
Darin
"Ya Never Know"
1980 C26