OLD USED Keel Pin Brackets wanted for a pattern . . . . .

Post All Keel Topics Here
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

OLD USED Keel Pin Brackets wanted for a pattern . . . . .

Post by CaptainScott »

Hello all,

On a fairly regular basis I receive requests for keel pin and brackets so . . . .

I was thinking. If anyone out there has an old set of keel pin brackets they'd be willing to donate and mail me at my cost for mailing, I would research getting a proper pattern made and finding a shop that could knock a few out at a time.

I would very happily use my own but alas, I was not forsighted enough and simply tossed them.

So, all you folks who have done this, PLEASE look around and see if you have the old set of brackets. They were aluminum so mailing in a 10 buck fixed price USPS box should be doable.

If possible, I would like a set from the C26 AND a set from a C22.
I know they are likely the same but I'd still like one of each just incase a minor difference is there.

Lastly,
The tough question. What price range would you pony up cash for a set if you needed them? My set I bought were high quality stainless brackets and brass pin. Probably way over kill but I tell ya, I'm happy. They were in the 400 plus tax range. IF I could get them made for 350-450 bucks a set plus tax and shipping would you buy a set when you needed them?
I know it is pricey but unless I can find a better way, that is where my thoughts are.

The way I see it is these boats are fabulous. We might as well find a source for the hard to find parts.

Scott
mjt

Brackets

Post by mjt »

I have the original brackets from my C-22 somewhere. (I am packing and getting ready for a move, but I could send them to you in late November or December after unpacking.

Mike
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Brackets

Post by CaptainScott »

mjt wrote:I have the original brackets from my C-22 somewhere. (I am packing and getting ready for a move, but I could send them to you in late November or December after unpacking.

Mike
Thank you for the kind offer!!
Please send them! When you are ready, let me know and I'll forward my home address to you! Thanks!

I am hoping to get a set sooner though. So any others that are available please send them! I believe they are all the same but the more samples I have the more I will know about any differences!

Thanks Mike!
Scott
mariner

Post by mariner »

I love that idea, I have a friend who makes custom motorcycle parts and swears by this place...

http://www.emachineshop.com/

I am going to try them for a project I have in mind, might be worth checking this out, My guess is that after a successfull upload they may be able to keep the patern and then anyone who wishes can order directly from them, or if you draw up the pattern you could just email it to the person who requested it and they could deal with it themselves.... :D I have to believe that the cost is a lot less than 400 bucks
1976 - C22
"AnneMarie"
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Oh sweeeeeeet!
As soon as I get a set of brackets I will attempt to build the design and git'er dun!

Thanks!
Scott
Bhacurly
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bhacurly »

Well,

I have the SS ones that I bought for my C-22 then couldn't get to line up and ended up not using them.... maybe you could come get them :lol:
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Oh you're just mad because I did not come by! LOL!
heh heh! I will try harder next time!

Not only that we blasted past Greg too! He is south of you by quite a bit though!

Hmm, I need more emoticons here . . . . .
Scott
Bhacurly
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bhacurly »

LOL.. Ohh I aint mad... I could ship them to you asap if you want to use them.
Windward

Post by Windward »

The brackets for the 26 are completely different animals. Replacing, or at least closely inspecting and evaluating, the keel shoes on Windward is very much on "The List," and I'll definitely take copious dimensions and photos when I finally get to it. I don't see having time before heading for the coast, but it would be a part of a fairly major refit within the next year.
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

There's a article on Windwards site that has a pic of a replacement keel shoe for the C26 - Click here - I believe this owner passed away a couple years ago. I may be able to get a drawing/dimensions from EE in a couple weeks..

Also Nathan Swaim (Blue Healer) used to have a C22 bracket drawing posted, but that link is dead.

http://www.cashflowfactory.com/keelrepair/index.html

Thanks for asking around for another Scott, that's going to be handy to have online
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

WOW!
I has no idea how different the swing keel system is on a C26! I just assumed they were similar! LOL!
Thanks EE!

Scott
hp18carr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hp18carr »

Jeff

I for one will be waiting with high expectations on your refit of Windward. My keel shoes are high on my list as well, but I'm finding it hard to muster up the courage to tackle them. My fear is once I commit to the job I'll find that I'll meed to replace them. My C26 has been a salt water boat up to this point and my tentative inspection of the keel shoes so far has found a couple of the retaining bolt heads completely eroded away. :shock:

Jeff if by Chance you find you want to replace yours, perhaps a wish list could be started for those of us in the same boat so to speak. If enough of us C26 owners get together perhaps a shop could do a run for us at a price that would not break the bank.

Terrence
Wilmington N.C.
Chrysler 26' 1980
Pandora (for now)
John K

Post by John K »

I have a new stainless set that I bought from Idasailor about a year and a half ago. I am very apprehensive about tackling the project. Mine did NOT come with the mounting holes predrilled, which leads me to believe that they were not all created using a standard hole pattern. Does anyone know if that is true or not?
1977 C22: Dog House
John K

Post by John K »

Photos of new brackets for anyone interested.

http://www.chryslersailors.com/discussi ... highlight=
1977 C22: Dog House
Jmckamey

Post by Jmckamey »

The C20 and the C26 are closer cousins as far as hull design goes. It's funny how the C22 is a totaly different beast.
As far as predrilling goes, The ones I bought were not predrilled either. I fit them them, marked them, then drilled. I also had to do some final fit as well. You could drill one hole and bolt it in place, then mark the rest if you think the bracket might move during the marking procss. Ideally, you would use a 90 deg air drill motor with a short bit to do the deed, as you know it's kinda tight on the lower bolts.
1977 Chrysler 22
Ground to windward is dearly bought, but easly spent.
Bhacurly
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bhacurly »

John,

My brackets look like the ones in your photo's. They were not pre drilled and that's where I had issues. After drilling I tried and tried and just could not get the keel pin to pass through the keel into the other side!! It was really frustrating...

I've kept them for the simple reason they cost $$$, and I may have better luck next time. But for now they collect dust so if Capt Scott wants a set for dimensions I can ship them over and not miss them...

Billy
mariner

Post by mariner »

Luckily I have not had to do this yet. Just a thought...is there any reason not to pre drill the holes and then fill the fiberglass and drill the fiberglass? I like the idea of drilling one, bolting in the bracket and then marking the rest. Using a drill press may help....
1976 - C22
"AnneMarie"
Jmckamey

Post by Jmckamey »

I forgot to mention that when I set my brackets I did them at the same time with the pin in place. I made sure I could move the pin freely in and out of both brackets during the entire fitting process
1977 Chrysler 22
Ground to windward is dearly bought, but easly spent.
Bhacurly
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bhacurly »

Tools!

Guess thats my plan next time... Glass over and redrill new holes, and get a 90 angle drill!

Scott I'll mail them off early next week... Heading up to spend the night on the boat then work nights sat an sun...
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Bhacurly wrote:Tools!

Guess thats my plan next time... Glass over and redrill new holes, and get a 90 angle drill!

Scott I'll mail them off early next week... Heading up to spend the night on the boat then work nights sat an sun...

Thanks Billy,
No worries or hurries, I trust you saw my PM with my address and concerns.

I have a car show tomorrow but Saturday night we spend the night on Destiny.
I'm thinking Sunday afternoon I will rebed some of the deck hardware on Lady Jo! I found a leak at one of the turning blocks! Bugger, I hate leaks! Even if they are fresh water!

Oh, wait, on further review, I do not hate all leaks. In fact I even really like some! EE! LOL!

Scott
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

69Shark wrote: Oh, wait, on further review, I do not hate all leaks. In fact I even really like some! EE! LOL!

Scott
8) EE came close to being named in that fashion...
Last edited by EmergencyExit on Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
Andiron120
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Andiron120 »

My 22 is off the trailer and waiting on me to get one of those round tuits. I may be in the market for a set of brackets soon. The price is high but I don't know of anyone willing to build them for less at the moment and you pay what it costs if you need it. Will also have to rebuild the rudder through hull during this process, the last attempt didn't fix the slight leak. Anyone have any bullet proof solutions on that one in their bag of tricks?
"I feel no need to go anywhere the ice gets larger than will fit in my glass"
johnjax292
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by johnjax292 »

I will be pulling my C22 soon to redo the pin assembly. I hope there is enough material to use to draw a proper CAD to get some pricing locally. If all goes well, I will share my drawing. If the parts are really bad, we might need to see who has an old hull sitting in the grass somewhere.
hadaveha

Post by hadaveha »

scott
I am going to replace mine this fall, they have only been in fresh water and i really dont think they are in that bad of shape, I just have a small leak I figure as long as I am dropping the keel anyway, I might as well replace them while I am at it. I will send them soon as I get them back from the machine shop.
David
david

new owner 1979 c22
ABIGAIL
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

That would be great David, THANKS!

I hope to find a way to get the drawings available here and possibly even get a machine shop willing to do limited runs for us. I found a Hotrod shop in Deleware and the owner is a heavy boater. I have sent the proposal and am waiting a response. No hopes up yet but if I can get a single established shop then the parts could be made by the drawings on your own or ordering them.

Cost is critical so we'll see what I can come up with.

Scott
Bhacurly
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bhacurly »

Hey Capt. Scott...

I mailed the brackets today, should be there Monday...
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Thank you sir!

Scott
johnjax292
Site Admin
Site Admin

Keel Pin

Post by johnjax292 »

Last call for keel pin assembly. Just wondering if anyone has a drawing to reference that I could get some prices on. If not, I will pull what ever is left on mine and go from there.

I did find a local company to redo my keel. Still need to bring it in for a final price. The goal is to sand blast it then cover with epoxy. That should get it through my service about 3 years. Hopefully, we can upgrade than.
John
s/v Gatta Nostra
1977 C22
N41EF

Post by N41EF »

UM, add me to the list of people who are looking for a set of keel pin brackets.
1979 C22 S/V Client Meeting
astrorad

Post by astrorad »

Andiron, I have a drawing of the rudder post thru hull that I designed and had a machine shop make up for me. I had the thru hull made from Delrin. I will try and post the drawing and some video of the actual thru hull some time this week.
Bill