keel

Post All Keel Topics Here
hadaveha

keel

Post by hadaveha »

ok guys I know I am probly worring you guys to death, and I promise to lay off, I just have 1 more question. I have looked my keel pin assembly over as good as I can, and I swear it looks to be in good shape, nothing like some of the pics I have seen on hear, I know it leaks around the kell pin area but seems to stay with in the small void that is behind it. One day I want to replace the keel pin with a nice stainless unit, but I am not sure if I want to stay with a 22 ft boat or move to something more like a 26, anyway to my question is there any way i can check the pin to make sure it is solid enough that I wont loose the keel, if I stay with the assembly that is on there now, or does the fact that it does leak a little around the keel pin mean I surly need to replace it.

david
david

new owner 1979 c22
ABIGAIL
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

That's a pretty loaded question! Without being able to look at it directly it would be hard for one of us to answer with any sort of confidence.

I'd start by looking in GREAT detail at each keel pin plate for any sign of serious corrosion. Mine were OBVIOUSLY corroded badly on Lady Jo. Maybe take a small cotter key puller ( hand tool that looks like a bent screw driver ) and poke the plates from under the boat, scraping away the crap and looking for any indication of lost metal. Check inside also. Poke the aluminum for any give or softness. If there is still concern. the possibility of removing your existing pin for checking is a LOT of work at best. Not rocket science but a LOT of work. Support the keel and pulling the pin in my case was almost impossible. I surrendered and used a sawsall. Had it cut out in minutes.

I guess a judgment call on your part is the best you can do. Take a very good looke at the plates for corrosion near the bolts too. That is where all my corrosion started! If it is bad, then . . . . . well, you know . . . .

Sorry more help is not coming from me.

FYI, I have another C22. The plates look GREAT on it so unless it leaks badly, I'll not concern myself with it!

Keep watching, I'm sure more ideas will be posted!

Scott
John K

Re: keel

Post by John K »

hadaveha wrote: One day I want to replace the keel pin with a nice stainless unit...

... is there any way i can check the pin to make sure it is solid enough that I wont loose the keel...
As a specific response regarding the actual pin, it's a bit hard to see, but mine has always looked pretty shiny from down below. I couldn't see any obvious wear. I think it may have been replaced once, but perhaps the OEM pin was stainless. There's no absolute inspection of it without removing it; but less than that, getting a flashlight and inspecting it from down below is as close as you can get.
1977 C22: Dog House
Paul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Paul »

If you are on a trailer, and block the keel so it will not move, you might be able to pull the pin out, look at the level of corrosion on the pin and use a mechanics mirror & flashlight to see into the port bracket. Once inspected the pin can be reinserted. I put a 1/4 - 20 hex head bolt into the end of the pin and used a reasonable large crow bar to get it moving. Came out pretty easily.
Tranquil Chaos