Please check your keel cable

Post All Keel Topics Here
N41EF

Please check your keel cable

Post by N41EF »

It didn't look bad at first glance. I noticed that someone had bent the pin that screws in, but I could crank the keel up off the trailer, and lower it to the wood on the trailer.

Since I had to take the winch cable loose to clean the mud dobbers out od it, I thought I'd check the cable.

So the shackle had actually worn about half in two:

And the cable had erroded about in half as well, scary part was there was a threaded shackle that was prob 90% Gone.

Thanks to those who have gone before me, I'll be at Tractor suply Monday to buy some stainless cable.
1979 C22 S/V Client Meeting
turbo1168
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by turbo1168 »

GOOD CATCH! Much better to see that much rust and corrosion while sitting on the trailer, than in the water after the keel fell and damaged the pin and brackets. Could have been ugly. Plain steel should not have been used in that application. When you get the cable, make sure to use wire that is designed for the constant winding. 1 X 19 cable shouldn't be used, it will fatigue from the constant rolling up around the winch drum. 7 X 19 is designed for that action. Some people have also used the newer, high strength / low stretch rope.
N41EF

Post by N41EF »

Just a little homework for those that follow. According to the Chrysler build drawings, the cable is 91 inches long made of 3/16 Stainless Steel. Here are the options I found:

1. Home Depot sells the cabe and has "kit" for about $8 that includes a thimble and two stainless cable clamps. They will cut the cable to any length you want.

2. Tractor Supply sells cable and individual pieces for slightly higher price.

3. West Marine has a crimper mounted and will make the cable for you as long as you are buying the parts from them. If you need an excuse to go to Wests, this is the better option. About the same price as TSC. You can mail order the cable, thimble, and clamps if you are remote. I'm not allowed to go to West anymore by myself with a credit card.

I got the parts and built one from TSC, then found the HD kit, so I made a back up cable using the HD kit and a piece of galvanized cable. For now it's ballast up front.

For those without a lot of marine shops around, check TSC of Home Depot.
1979 C22 S/V Client Meeting
turbo1168
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by turbo1168 »

Fortunately for me, Seco is right down the street, but if you need any rigging done try them, they do ship. http://www.secosouth.com/mm5/merchant.m ... g_hardware