Lonestar 16 bilge keels

Post All Keel Topics Here
steve

Lonestar 16 bilge keels

Post by steve »

Has anyone ever put these keels back in the boat???????????
I got boat with keels out and need to put them back in??????
C-Lone Star 16
West Wight Potter 15 "nilehorse"
Swifty12 "swifty"
ChryslerLS16 "knockabout"
newlonestar

Keels/Why tore out?

Post by newlonestar »

Steve,

I am sorry, but I have not had to put in or take out that keels yet. I fear that I may have to as I have a slow leak that I can only guess is coming from either the seals around the keels or possibly cracked fiberglass where the keels come out from. Is this why you need to put them back in? Was wondering if you had to tear out due to same issue. I will let you know if I take on the project in the future.
steve

keels

Post by steve »

Hi!
I obtained the boat with the keels out. It appears that all parts are present.
I think I have figured out how they go together.
To check for leaks why don't you start to fill boat with water. Note: put blocks under trailer or you might pop tires. As water level comes up to the leak you should be able to see where it is coming from. If you think it's coming from seals I would put high pressure stream directly on them and see what comes out below.

I have not yet gotten around to putting my keels in, just lazy I guess. Dr told me not to sail alone anymore so I'm trying to sell the 22'.
Steve
West Wight Potter 15 "nilehorse"
Swifty12 "swifty"
ChryslerLS16 "knockabout"
Kerry D

Post by Kerry D »

I just removed the keel handle on my LS16. Two screws were all that held it on. Pulled the handle inboard and it came out and the bilge keel dropped onto the trailer.
Now I have begun my problem: the bilge keels are quite sloppy, as in hanging down and loose. First task her is to lift the boat enough to remove them to see if I can have them welded a little and then reshape the holes so that they are tighter. Any suggestions on the project would be welcome. First I have to build a frame to support the hull when I jack it up off the trailer.......
Found simple fix! Jacked hull up and kept putting boards under till I could lower the bilge board, easy to remove. Everything tight as far as fitting together. New challenge: get them back in alone. Solved: motorcycle tie downs.. placed a board under bilge board and tightened up until I could put the handle shaft back though the bilge board. After all that I realized all they required was tightening the screws for a clutch like effect. They are now tight with no leaks........
Lonestar 16 needing tlc