Modify keel to prevent swing keel from hitting first?

Post All Keel Topics Here
birdsey

Modify keel to prevent swing keel from hitting first?

Post by birdsey »

I am new to swing keels and trailerable boats but am pretty handy with working on boats and fiberglass work.

The swing keel on a C-26 protrudes about 2 inches below the bottom of the keel trunk. You cannot place the boat weight directly on the keel pin or swing keel without causing damage.

I am considering building up the perimeter of the keel around the swing keel opening with metal or wood (saturated in epoxy) and covered with fiberglass. Solid enough to take the weight of the boat.

This would allow me to roll the boat directly onto my trailers keel rollers without worrying about misalignement and the weight being directly on the swing keel.

I know one thing sailors love to do almost as much as sailing is to give thier opinions!!!! :wink:

Please tell me if you know anyone else that has tried this and why it may or may not work.

Garth
thepartydog

Post by thepartydog »

My thinking on this issue was to modify the trailer.
Darin
"Ya Never Know"
1980 C26
birdsey

Instructions in the manual on loading trailer?

Post by birdsey »

Does anyone have any of the original Chrysler documetation on the original "mated trailer" and instructions on how to put the boat on the trailer?

It seems like the manuals are very thorough about everything from raising the mast to adjusting the rig, but no mention of the trailer loading.

Is the boat originally to be supported around the keel and not on the keel trunk?
Anhinga
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Anhinga »

I have my 26 on what I believe is the original trailer. On mine the majority of the weight is on the keel and pin. It's been like that for years without damage. The side rollers support some weight but it's much less than the keel rollers. There was a "for sale cheap" 26 on here a last year that had hull damage from too much side roller pressure. you could see the deformation even in the digital low-res images. Trust the engineering that brought these boats through 35 year of outdoor weather, they're designed to sit on that keel! The side rollers or bunks just keep them upright.

That's my story...

Jim on Anhinga
monty

Post by monty »

Rightly or wrong, I made a slot on my trailer for the keel to sit in so the weight is carried by the trunk. I know it probably sat on the keel for 30 years but it just didn't seem right!
Messing About
78 C26D (I added the 'D' cause it's got the Volvo diesel!) #490