Plans for Keel Pin Brackets

Post All Keel Topics Here
Smier

Plans for Keel Pin Brackets

Post by Smier »

Hello, I have been lurking on this site for a few weeks now, and I've read thru almost every thread on this site and others that I can find. I am in need of a set of plans for the keel pin and bracket assembly to take to my local fab shop to have them made. I've seen multiple references to people making tracings of the assembly, but haven't been able to find an actual working link to them. I have some photos of the ones idasailor used to sell, but no measurements to go with them.
My brackets are toast, and I doubt they will survive the removal process for a pattern... I have an '83 Starwind 22(almost identical to the Chrysler22) that spent the first 20 plus years of it life in saltwater, and the last decade sitting on its trailer, so just touching the brackets with my finger cause them to crumble into dust and rusty flakes.
I also need to do this repair as quickly as possible once started, so I can keep my Mother In-law happy, I do most of my work in her driveway, which she gets upset if the projects take too long. It would be great to have the brackets fabricated prior to the start of the job to keep things moving as quickly as possible! Any help is greatly appreciated!!! I am planning on adding some content and documentation to the Starwind section of this site soon! Thanks, Scott.
Smier

Post by Smier »

I finally found it! So this is not a pointless dead end road for the next person like me, here is a link:

http://www.chryslersailors.com/Document ... awing.jpeg

Thank you to everyone who is working to preserve info on these boats!!! You have helped me tremendously already, and it is greatly appreciated! To me, this is almost priceless info right now. Not sure how I missed it, but I have spent hours and hours searching the net for this info...

Paul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Paul »

Greetings Smier! One thing you might add to the document. One end of the keel pin is usually tapped 1/4 - 20 X about 3/4" to accept a bolt so the pin can be pulled out. Without this threaded end, cutting the pin would be about the only way to get it out.

Warmest regards,

Paul
Tranquil Chaos
Smier

Post by Smier »

Thanks for the info! I may get to help build mine, if I do I'll take plenty of pics.
Smier

Post by Smier »

Wow, I had no idea finding a shop to build these out of stainless would be so hard... Our guy at my work wants to build them out of regular steel like the originals, and no one locally works with stainless. Any ideas? Shop recommendations? Thanks in advance!
astrorad

Post by astrorad »

If you can find a sheet metal contractor who does work in the food processing,dairy or Spam!!!!!!!! industry they could do stainless.
Bill
astrorad

Post by astrorad »

I don't know where that Spam word came from...it isn't what I typed...the word should be a word denoting legal drug making companies and it starts with a p. If you type the whole word it shows up as Spam
Bill
Smier

Post by Smier »

Well, I found a local, reputable shop willing to make them for me, but their quote was really high... $746!!! I guess I'll keep shopping it around. I priced the stainless, all the materials came out to $110 from a place in Ohio.
astrorad

Post by astrorad »

Try http://www.speedymetals.com...I have purchased from them a couple of times and they seem to have reasonable prices.
Bill
Smier

Post by Smier »

I found this place, their prices are reasonable, and they will cut small pieces to order:

http://www.onlinemetals.com/app_groups. ... 1&app_id=1

My issue is finding a shop to do the actual welding, machining, etc... So far most shops that are local keep telling me they don't work with stainless steel. I'd love to just find a shop that has built them for someone else that they would recommend and is familiar with what we need. It'd be nice to have a place to just call up and order an assembly!
Smier

Post by Smier »

I just noticed a flaw in the keel pin drawing. It calls for a 5/8" keel pin, but the access plug is only 1/2". Unless I am looking at it wrong, if made this way, I wouldn't be able to install or remove the pin.