Can a Chrysler 22 dry out on a mooring w/o damage

Post All Keel Topics Here
Ltpjr

Can a Chrysler 22 dry out on a mooring w/o damage

Post by Ltpjr »

Hello guys, I am new to the forum and am very close to pulling the trigger on a 22 but I need to know if it can safely dry out on a mooring. I have a no swing mooring in soft mud almost like quicksand, I currently have a westerly bilge keeler but am looking to get into a smaller cruiser that's a bit easier to Trailer, launch and maintain. I have scoured this forum for info and suspect after reading that the keel and rudder tend to be an achilles heel to this design that the answer is no. I truly hope I am wrong though since the 22 seems like a smart little yacht that is well built and is of a proven design for sheltered cruising and the odd near coastal across a bay or 2 jaunt. Any info would be truly appreciated!! Thanks for letting me aboard!!

Lawrence
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Becuase of the items you mentioned, keel and rudder, I'd say no as well..but let's see what the 22 owners come up with for an answer..
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Good morning Lawrence and welcome to the forum!

You are correct in thinking the C22 is a fine well designed boat! She's a tough one and can take most punishment owners will give!

I would not hesitate to ground my C22 in perfect conditions. However I would not leave my boat on a mooring to dry and refloat. Could I? Yes, would I? Never.

I believe in the conditions you describe your keel would take it fine assuming the keel pin and brackets are in top condition. The reason I feel this way is look at these things on a trailer. The keel either is litterally hanging above the trailer and the whole thing flys down the road or the boat actually sits on the keel and the same thing flys down the road. All without any issues.

However the rudder would be my fear. It is not only considered a weak point, it is totally exposed! In perfect conditions when you can control the lay of the boat I'm sure it would be perfectly fine. But what about that day when the wind is blowing the wrong way, you have a mild 2 foot chop, you baby is slightly hobby horsing on her moorage in very shallow water. Bow rises in a wave, rudder hits bottom. A few times would likely be fine. But if this goes on for days on end floating drying and foul weather is at hand, I suspect you damage the rudder. Again, in perfect or controlled conditions, no worries. But you will not always be there.

Remeber the sea is merciless. She can and will expose your boats every weakness.

Where do you hail from? Must North somewhere! LOL!

Again, welcome!

Scott