Keel pics - how bad does it look?

Post All Keel Topics Here
timlabute

Keel pics - how bad does it look?

Post by timlabute »

Hey all, Tim here. Went to the boat today and got some more pics. Check the other threads for the rest but, here are some keel pics. I removed the black cap and this is what I found.

Can I have an honest opinion - how bad does it look? I know I need to crawl under and get a look, but it was too cold today :(

Coreth

Corrosion!

Post by Coreth »

Hi Tim! Seems your path leads you to a place similar to mine. I am in the process of removing my keel to replace the keel pin. The Coreth is a 1977 C22 & I believe that she is still on her original pin. I am obviously going to need to replace the entire assembly. Stay tuned. Have you done anything to yours?
Best Wishes,

Corey
The Tigon - 1977 C22
Blog: SailingPugetSound.net
timlabute

Post by timlabute »

Morning :)

No this is as far as I could get. We just had a big storm come through so every trip to the boat now is just to get the snow off.

My issue with pin replacement is that I only plan to have her for 1 season before moving to a C26 or similar. I will be inspecting the underside when possible, but for now the plan is to leave it alone for the 2013 season.
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

FYI, that is the cap around the pin. If it still has a lot of material I'd not judge just by that.

Crawling under the boat and looking up at the keel pin itself and the keel pin plates to see their condition might help. One of my C22's had the plates rotted all the way through and thus an ugly leak appeared. While my pin was still in decent shape, the plates were very bad and I ended up replacing it all.

Scott
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

I'm in agreement with get a flashlight and look at the pin from underneath the boat looking up in the slot at the pin.

If that looks good, do a float test. If it hold out the water and the pin looks good, It's my opinion that I would sail on.

Thanks
Alan
It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing
timlabute

Post by timlabute »

Thanks all. As soon as the weather clears up I am going to heavily investigate from the bottom of the boat and see what is going on. I had the boat in the water the last week of the 2012 season and sailed her home in a storm. No water came in and we really worked that keel, including a thump in to the sand on the bottom once when it was down around 60 degrees.

Seems solid but, I will be looking in to the bottom this spring
Coreth

Got my keel off!!! Now the real work begins :)

Post by Coreth »

Well, with great guidance & help, I've gone as far as grinding off the port side cap, drilling a hole in the starboard side of the assembly, and tapping(pounding) the pin out. It's now time for needle gunning. In looking at your pictures again, I almost thought they were my own. Turns out that the pin itself was near flawless. It's now a trophy ;)

Check our blog for pictures :)
Best Wishes,

Corey
The Tigon - 1977 C22
timlabute

Post by timlabute »

How bad were your plates? Need replacing?

Also, you make getting the keel down look easy on your blog lol. How did you keep it from tipping one way or another while you lowered the jack?

If you are replacing the keep plates, are you having them made? Making them? Where would I source such things?

Coreth

In response...

Post by Coreth »

timlabute wrote:How bad were your plates? Need replacing?

Also, you make getting the keel down look easy on your blog lol. How did you keep it from tipping one way or another while you lowered the jack?

If you are replacing the keep plates, are you having them made? Making them? Where would I source such things?

Tim,
Yes, I will be replacing the plates with SS, as well as the pin & the spring/plunger setup & housing. I will have a local machine shop do this for me, using the documents I've gotten from here, as well as my own measurements for preciseness.
As for the keel, the pictures don't really show the "whole" picture, if you know what I'm saying. We did it very carefully & slowly. 3 guys, 2 floor jacks, and several 2x4's. Once we got it almost all the way straight down, we braced it & then cranked the boat stands up slowly until it was free, keeping the keel-cable attached & taught throughout. More to come.
Best Wishes,

Corey
The Tigon - 1977 C22