Were the original keel pin brackets stainless steel?

Post All Keel Topics Here
Smier

Were the original keel pin brackets stainless steel?

Post by Smier »

I am getting ready to replace my keel pin and brackets. I have only found one local fabricator willing to build them out of stainless steel for me, and the price is astronomical. Our fabricator/mechanic at my work is willing to make them for me for just the cost of materials and a case of adult beverages, but will only make them out of regular steel. He doesn't have the proper welding gas to weld SS. His argument is that if the originals were regular steel and lasted 30 years, why go to the extra expense of stainless.... Thoughts?
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

Mine had been replaced at least once before with regular steel but I went with SS to avoid ever having to drag that beast out again because it was rusting apart...out of the water on a trailer the SS will last almost forever.
Smier

Post by Smier »

Yes, I think that mine are mild steel, but I have been told that some were originally aluminum by CaptainScott. I will be investigating further this weekend...
Paul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Paul »

Mine are original, clean and aluminum.

Paul
Tranquil Chaos
Andiron120
Site Admin
Site Admin

Keel pin brackets

Post by Andiron120 »

The originals on mine were steel and rusted out. I am replacing them with stainless. I found a local fabricator that made them for aprox. 300.00
They did a nice job and are willing to repeat the job for others. If you are out of the area you would have to pay for the shipping. Anyone interested in talking to them PM me and I will give you their contact information in Waco TX.
"I feel no need to go anywhere the ice gets larger than will fit in my glass"
Smier

Post by Smier »

Thank you! I definitely want that contact info!
b918fvc

Keel pins

Post by b918fvc »

I would like to have that company's contact information. b918fvc@sbcglobal.net

thanks
Thunderstruck

Keel

Post by Thunderstruck »

I too would like any info regarding who can manufacture pins and brackets

mtdd.mla@gmail.com
Smier

Post by Smier »

I just spoke with the shop in Waco, they are going to call me back with more info. Anyone seriously interested in having a set made let me know, who knows, maybe he'd be willing to make up a few sets at the same time to keep them available, or maybe a group discount... :wink:
Thunderstruck

Keel

Post by Thunderstruck »

Definitely interested in sharing costs. Providing others choose (stainless steel) SS 316/317. I've sourced plates and round rod through the link provided on anther board (www.onlinemetals.com), and aware of the material costs. It would be great if many could commit to the shop setting up the machines to punch out multiples and then we can lower the per piece set up cost at shop. Everyone with a 30 year old boat will need them sooner than later.
Smier

Post by Smier »

Yes, I have found two local shops near me willing to build them, but they insist on charging me for a full sheet of stainless(which they will keep). I'm really hopeful this place works out!
Smier

Post by Smier »

I ordered my keel bracket set and pin today! They should be shipped out by the end of this week. I will be posting some pics and additional info after I get them next week, and the shop has offered to hang onto the templates so they can make them for others!!! So far, the shop has been very helpful, which has been a really nice change to my experience with the local shops near me.

I'd really like to thank AndIron120 for all of his help, and especially his willingness to make the trip back to the fab shop so they could use his bracket set to make the templates for future use! Stay tuned... We are hoping to have a good source for people to have access to get new, affordable keel brackets to keep our boats on the water!