Keel pin/trunk hull cracks

Post All Keel Topics Here
HappySailor

Keel pin/trunk hull cracks

Post by HappySailor »

Hi Group,

I wanted to see if this repair was done by somebody else here, and see how they proceeded if different than me...

Picked up a C-22 as a daysailer and found some problems ... Primarily on my list is hull cracking discovered around the keel pin mounts... The keel cable was snapped when I got her, but there obviously had been some problems before...

These cracks are pretty significant in number, but upon grinding to the glass on the outside, can't find much if any cracking, So mostly stress cracking inside.... I think I have a handle on the repair...

1. Cut out a plywood section of the trunk which is not terribly dry rotted, but softer than I liked...

2. grind/groove cracks...

3. lay glass cloth in wood cutout, 2 layers 6 oz extending 2" above, 2" past side bulkheads fore and aft, and 2" beyond bottom cracks. 4 more layers 6 oz in cutout transition to bottom extending 2" past cracks

4. prepped new panel insert = 1/4" solid oak+2 layers mat, 2 layers 6 oz each side, cured under pressure

5. Adhere panel insert with 1/8" epoxy/406 layer, cure under pressure

6. fill panel gap (1/8") with epoxy/406, cover with 3/4 marine ply, cure under pressure.

7. glass and fair 3/4 ply cover in place with tabbed support strips

The only bummer I see right now is that I intend to repeat the procedure on the starboard side... Which means cutting an access panel in the interior pan and keel trunk cover...

Pics to come...

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

HS
HappySailor

Post by HappySailor »

The pics...

Overall pic showing cracks...

Crack detail...

Cracks marked with SharpieImage

New Panel

New panel in place...

Other pics to come...
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Welcome Happy sailor!

I've not seen anyone go through that much repair on the C22's yet.
I've replaced the keel brackets and pin along with the rudder cheek plates, post, etc but not the glass damage. I wonder what happened to cause that much failure.

Do keep us posted on your efforts!

Scott
HappySailor

Post by HappySailor »

Hi Cap'n!

Thanks for the welcome! I do quite a bit of that over on Cruisers Forum...

I'm fairly confident that this failure/damage occurs a lot more often than people realize... Probably not to this degree though.... (read that I encourage/challenge other C-22 owners to investigate) A couple of cable snaps, and I bet this is exactly what one would find... This boat was in pretty poor shape when I picked her up... The majority of the work being significant hull damage do to hard marine growth... Grind out a couple hundred spots, epoxy/406 fill, fair, barrier coat, bottom job... Ugh...

I'm going overkill with the repair here, as it's solid as a rock without the 3/4 ply reinforcement... I'll proceed with the original plan though...

Panel epoxied in place...

Glass thickness at pin mount is now bigger than 1/2"!!!

3/4 ply boxing structure...
Smier

Post by Smier »

Thanks for posting! I'm hoping that when I replace my brackets that I don't find any damage...
Smier

Post by Smier »

Thanks for posting! I'm hoping that when I replace my brackets that I don't find any damage...