Keel Pin Brackets

Post All Keel Topics Here
TimR

Keel Pin Brackets

Post by TimR »

Hi to all,
I have just picked up a 78 C-22. I am planning on a complete restoration. It seems that the keel pin and brackets are the place to begin. I have read the previous posts. Did anyone come up with a source for these components? Any current info would be much appreciated.
Tim Rice
1978 C-22
Moscow, TN.
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Tim, welcome aboard ! To get to the drawings go to the main page at
chryslersailors.com, then click on Documentation, scroll down to the section for "C22_Sandpiper" and you'll see a link to "C22KeelPinDrawing.jpeg"

Scott has some pics of his keel pin repair,also under the main page, favorite links, favorite links, keel pin repair
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Welcome aboard Tim,
Yes, I have done this work!

EE already pointed you towards the links, if you have any questions, shoot away!

There is no real rocket science there just use a lot of care and common sense! Search the forum, you'll find several folks have done this and have supported their boats in a variety of fashions!

As far as pin and bracket, you best get them made locally. That is what I did!

Scott
Coreth

Welcome Aboard!!!

Post by Coreth »

Hey Tim!!! Great having another restoration going on. I, too, am currently doing a near complete restoration, to include the keel pin, bracket, and that entire area. I took the before mentioned drawing to my local fabricator and should have it all back shortly. I do my best to document my progress via the Coreth blog. Keep us up to date, when you find the time. It is an extensive project, but worth it completely :)
Best Wishes,

Corey
The Tigon - 1977 C22
Blog: SailingPugetSound.net
TimR

Keel Pin Brackets

Post by TimR »

Thanks for the encouragement. I am talking to Max Stewart at Stewart Stainless in Waco Texas. He has made the C 22 keel pin brackets for others and has a set of old brackets as a pattern. I sent the the drawing to him so he can verify the measurements. I will keep all informed.

Tim :D
Tim Rice
1978 C-22
Moscow, TN.
Matt & Star

Post by Matt & Star »

Hello All
Been lurking around here for the past year, and as I'm now in the same "boat" (haha!) as both Tim and Corey, I though I'd jump in. I will have my "new" 1980 C-22 home sometime within the next 3 weeks, and if the weather holds out I should be addressing the keel pin assembly soon after as well.

(It's a keel pin party! Incidentally, I have bought "Free Ride", Tim Labute's old boat.)

I'm going to try and document the process as best as I can and post it somewhere for your entertainment. I'll most likely fabricate the brackets and pin along with the help of a neighbor because I'm cheap and he has a lathe (you're a good man, Paul!), but I'll have the welding done elsewhere as I'm not equipped for welding stainless. I'd prefer if it were tigged, anyhow.
Seems we'll have a new post or two about the process to add to the heap!

Sorry for the intrusion.
Power to the people!

Cheers,
Matt

Oh, and Tim- I'd say Welcome to you as well, but I don't feel qualified as I kind of walked in on your heels. How about "Hey"?
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Matt & Star, Welcome Aboard !! Yes, please pics and docs, everyone enjoys them both..
b918fvc

Post by b918fvc »

Have found sources fabricating keel pin brackets...spoke with three different marine welding shops in the Fort Myers, Florida area. All will take on the job if specifications and / or old parts can be made available. Price range in $500 to $600.
Last edited by b918fvc on Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Coreth

Post by Coreth »

B918fvc... I do know that that $1000.00 estimate seems VERY high. I am having mine keel pin bracket fabricated from scratch currently, here in Olympia, WA. I was quoted appx. $500.00 by a couple of places. I'm blessed to have a really good connection that is giving me a smoking deal on my set though and will pay about half that. Keep looking. You must know someone who knows someone ;)
Best Wishes,

Corey
The Tigon - 1977 C22
Blog: SailingPugetSound.net