Refinishing the keel on a C22

Post All Keel Topics Here
br-549

Refinishing the keel on a C22

Post by br-549 »

Hello,

The keel on our C22 is pretty rusty. I am thinking about dropping it out of the boat on a cradle which I will make. It appears that I will need to jack up the boat on the trailer and then lower it on to the cradle and then wheel it out to be sand blasted. I presume that I will need to use epoxy or urethane? What filler should I use to smooth the surface. I have some red epoxy used for motor and high voltage laminations. Any other ideas or threads? With all the ice on the lake, it appears that I have a month to get this done. Thanks in advance.

Regards,

B
We are so blessed
C22Bob
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by C22Bob »

Same here. Dropped my keel couple weeks ago and in the process of chipping away all the rust. Air hammer does a nice job if you have one, but sounds like you're going the blast route. I have a lot of heavy pitting on mine and need to grind smooth much as I can. Once you're down to bare metal, there are 2 barrier coats to choose from --

Interlux 2000e Epoxy or Coal Tar Epoxy

Interlux is expensive and requires 5 coats to achieve the 10mil recommended coat.
Coal Tar Epoxy is less expensive, requires only 1 or 2 coats (each coat is 8mil)

Ask around and you'll probably find half swear by one or the other.
My preference, the Coal Tar epoxy. Less expensive and has an impressive track record in industry

www.rustoleum.com/tds/1048990%20RO-53.pdf

Designed for use on steel or concrete surfaces in severe
industrial or marine environments. Provides outstanding
resistance to abrasion, strong chemicals and immersion
in fresh or salt water. Not for use in potable water tanks;
may impart an odor to liquids. Ideal for use on a variety of
surfaces exposed to extremely corrosive environments. Not
recommended for exposure to strong acids or immersion in
strong solvents.
J. Austin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J. Austin »

I used POR-15 on mine 3years ago, still looks brand new, and I didntt get all the crap outta all the pock marks. There is probably some dirt and rust still trapped, but from what they say, you can actually paint over rust with it.
I did a good deal of prep, but not perfect. Its lovely stuff.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward
jerecaustin.com
Coreth

Just finishing my keel.

Post by Coreth »

Hey guys... I've nearly completed my keel. Here's what I did. www.coreth.blogspot.com
Best Wishes,

Corey
The Tigon - 1977 C22
Blog: SailingPugetSound.net