For your engineering consideration

Post All Keel Topics Here
C22Bob
Site Admin
Site Admin

For your engineering consideration

Post by C22Bob »

Yes, yet another keel pin, bracket, engineering topic. I've got my keel out, doing the usual stuff on that. When ready to install, I'll make my own stainless bracket per all the great advice seen here. Looking ahead to that day, I'm really concerned about the factory design for holding 900 pounds of cast iron that swings up and down and with side-to-side pressures. For your review, the pix below.

Keel-Port-support2.jpg
Keel-Port-support.jpg
Here's a pic showing the aluminum plate I installed with Marine-Tex to fill the void
Keel-Port-support3.jpg
In the vertical plane, we have only .250 inch of fiberglass. In the horizontal plane, a full inch of fiberglass. Obviously, the horizontal plane is what does the heavy lifting, but just fiberglass? No metal? And then the vertical plane, just a quarter inch of fiberglass? Really! And why the half moon in the plywood. Seems that plywood would have made a great place to help anchor the keel bracket. Mine has no signs of cracking or fatigue, so obviously it works, but a little more support would definitely give me more piece of mind. Welcome your thoughts and comments..

Bob
Capt. Bondo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Capt. Bondo »

I no engineer, but I think the key is the shape of the bracket. Notice how the shape of the bracket is the widest were it meets the hull were it's 1" thick, so any twisting loads are transfered to the strongest point if the hull.
As for the thickness of the mounting location, I would be unwise to reinforce that area with wood or metal encapsulated in fiberglass below the waterline, If water was to get in, it would cause the wood to rot or the metal to rust :cry: The best thing is solid fiberglass.
Whenever I wonder why something on my C22 is designed some way...I just take a gulp of my adult beverage and think to myself...why should I even question Halsey Herreshoff.

Keep up the good work Bob
H:)ppy Place
78 Chrysler 22

You can go to a Zen Master or you can go Sailing, either way you end up in about the same place..... a Happy Place
astrorad

Post by astrorad »

I think Capt Bondo is correct....I have never heard of a C22 keel falling in the drink.
Bill