Electric Winch for Keel

Post All Keel Topics Here
C22Bob
Site Admin
Site Admin

Electric Winch for Keel

Post by C22Bob »

Anyone interested in converting to electric winch, here's a pic of how I did it. The winch is the DUTTON-LAINSON StrongArm SA5000DC. Easily pulls keel up fast with no problem. Has a clutch mechanism for free wheeling which comes in handy for lowering the keel without power, and for raising it manually if needed. On the right side you can see where I welded on a 3/8 in ratchet drive adapter just for that. The switch on the left is a remote control switch which can be purchased separately. Easy to wire up. These are not cheap, but I waited on eBay for a used one to come up and luckily got the winch, remote switch, wiring all for $150.

I mounted it horizontally at first ( like the original hand crank), but after hassling with where to mount the overhead pulley, decided to skip that whole arrangement and go vertical with a 'direct drive'. The idler pulley is something I designed to give control over the positioning and for a little smoother spooling
Attachments
winch.jpg
winch.jpg (25.34 KiB) Viewed 15226 times
astrorad

Post by astrorad »

That is a great idea Bob...I thought about doing that some day also and I did look at the Dutton- Lainson. Yes they are quite pricey new, but many times you get what you pay for...or you pay dearly for going cheap.
The idler pulley is also a great idea.
Bill
Reality

Post by Reality »

how do you prevent "overrun" that might break something? And I'd be afraid of any free spooling.
C22Bob
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by C22Bob »

The clutch mechanism can be slowly released. It's not like it completely disengages. If it did I would agree with you, that would cause the keel to drop with a very sudden bang. If that ever did happen though, the cable length will only allow a drop to the 60-70 degree position. It wouldn't bang into the forward keel trunk...

//Bob
Calayr

Re: Electric Winch for Keel

Post by Calayr »

Looks fantastic Bob. My keel is a struggle to raise with the manual winch. My wife can not crank it up. I am looking at various electric winches. One big concern I have is if someone uses the remote and pulls the keel though the hull. Could this be an issue, and is there anything that can be done to prevent this from happening? The endurance 2000# davit winch. I am guessing this will lift the keel but be under powered enough to pull the keel through the hull. Any thoughts or suggestions?
Chuck
C22Bob
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by C22Bob »

Here's the page for specs on my winch

https://www.dutton-lainson.com/proddeta ... prod=25500

As for your question on preventing damage to the bridge, I have the cable marked so I know when it's very close to being fully up. Also, for safety I don't operate it remotely. On retracting the keel, if I go a little extra (past my mark) the winch is noticeably struggling and I can see the bridge start to flex slightly. That's when I know it's too tight. An electrical cut-off switch would be nice and I'm sure one could be designed. I just haven't gone that far with it.

Thanks

Bob
Calayr

Post by Calayr »

Thanks for the info. I chickened out for now. I found my original winch is warped and binding along with the pulley. I decided to replace the hand winch with a heavy duty 1500# Dutton Lainson. I have not installed it yet, but I hope this helps make the keel easier to raise. I am concerned that adding 2 systems ( battery and motor/controller) to the keel opens more opportunity for failures. As a matter of the stop, I wonder if a small swaged on the cable that (would not foul the cable tube) with a smaller diameter stop attached to the winch mount would cause the winch to stop and not allow the winch to pull beyond up.?
C22Bob
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by C22Bob »

Either of those could still cause considerable damage as long as the motor runs. The only safe solution is an electrical cutoff switch.