Battery Test Meter Wiring

Post All Electrical Topics Here
panderson1977

Battery Test Meter Wiring

Post by panderson1977 »

I recently bought a 1981 TMI 27... Someone had broken into it and removed the electrical panel and I'm in the process of re-wiring the thing. I added some pictures below...

I have already jumpered all the switches together. I'm not sure where to place the hot battery wires with the test switch. Any help would be appreciated!
Another angle
Another angle
Front of Panel
Front of Panel
Back of Panel
Back of Panel
Thanks!

Philip
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Battery Test Meter Wiring

Post by CaptainScott »

Welcome aboard!
IF you have any documents with your boat and are willing to share, I'd be happy to scan them and post them on our Documentation page!
Scott
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Former broadcast technician here, it is hard to say 'positively' (LOL), but looking at the front and back pics I would say - the red wire that goes to the red test pinhole on the front goes to the center position of the switch, as does that black wire that is connected to the test meter. A wire (fused, please) from each battery would go to opposite sides of the two way switch.

So when the switch is one position, or the other , power from the battery goes to the outside connection, then out the middle (common) one to the meter and to the test pinhole (which I guess is a backup to the meter should it fail, allowing you to use a voltage test meter.

I never see it included in these type circuits, but a large diode to prevent current flowing back to battery A from battery B in case of switch failure isn't a bad idea. Diode points away from each battery to the switch.

And do test this hookup with something like a flashlight battery or a 9 volt battery. If something is wrong that's a lot less power than two big old boat batteries getting mad at you...
panderson1977

Post by panderson1977 »

Thanks for the advice! I just about got it all put back together... What a mess. I was able to hook most everything back up, except a dark green wire, yellow wire, and white wire... I haven't found where they go yet.

I was also able to remove one of the battery select switches. For some reason I had 2 of them. One of them simply acted as a jumper or switch to turn the house stuff (the electrical panel basically) on and off. I felt it unnecessary.

I'll upload all the stuff I can. I have the manuals for the Sole 26 Mini, that's about it.

Thanks again!