Electrical Fire could have burned my boat down!

Post All Electrical Topics Here
Capt. Bondo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Electrical Fire could have burned my boat down!

Post by Capt. Bondo »

H:)ppy Place
78 Chrysler 22

You can go to a Zen Master or you can go Sailing, either way you end up in about the same place..... a Happy Place
cs3079
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cs3079 »

Glad your safe and sound Capn. B. Wow, that sounds like you had all three on the line there: life, limb.. and sailboat! We all have to remember the order of importance. I guess the big guy's telling you it's the end of the season, loud and clear.

You definitely made a point with me though. I've been lucky several times already myself. One time, while trying to make haste and improve my setup time, I forgot to place a cotter pin in the front stay shakle. I discovered it as I was attaching the genoa while out on the water (another thing I no longer do). I almost pooped my pants when I saw that!:shock: I hastily had a crew member throw me a pin from the toolbox. Now I do a 360 and double check everything before dropping the Lollipop into the water.

I guess the moral of these stories are...Live and Learn and Learn and Live. Good story and happy ending too!
Bruce
Chry Wndw Shopping/'69 Newport H-20
Poupon Me!
Ray Twp., MI
Pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/65343255@N06/
Vids: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL60647F9C03EAE28A

I want a boat that drinks 6, eats 4, and sleeps 2.
- Earnest K. Gann
lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

Glad everything is ok and your lesson from this is you made yourself some more work but at least you are ok and a Chrysler was saved.
Catch the wind and ride the wave, Have fun
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34432376@N06/
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

WOW!
One lucky day!
I'm sure glad the fuel locker was vented properly or we may have read a totally different story!

Glad all is well. Sorry about the fingers and burned wires but consiedering you are a very lucky sailor!

Scott
Paul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Paul »

Wow, Capt Bondo! It was a scary Happy Place. Know the adreneline makes this all happen in a flash while at the same time it seems like it's taking forever to get it all accomplished. I'm so glad you and your boat will both be OK!

Paul
Tranquil Chaos
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

I had a similar experience on EE - was hooking up the remote controls and somehow the cable jumped inside the outboard case and the metal end got between the hot side of the outboard's manual start button and the case. While my back was turned, of course...sure does make life interesting when those moments happen... :roll:
hp18carr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hp18carr »

Capt Bondo's story has me a bit paranoid... glad to hear there was little damage and no hospital visit. At some point I will need to completely rewire my C26. Doing this from scratch on my own will save me some bucks, but would it be better as far as a safety factor to spend the extra bucks on a prefabricated wiring harness?

Terrence
Wilmington N.C.
Chrysler 26' 1980
Pandora (for now)
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

Good to hear you and your boat are okay. Sure your a bit singed and you've got some wiring to do on the boat but all in all it was a good day. I'm betting the rewire will be even better then before. I know I'm looking forward to the before and after photo's of your solution to the issue.

Thanks for the report and I know I'll be doing a double take next time I'm on board at my wiring.

Thanks
Alan
It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing
mcrandall
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mcrandall »

Fuses. That's why God invented them.

Granted, they may not have helped in Capt B's situation, but they will for day to day apps.

Covering any exposed hot terminal, especially at the battery is smart.

Covered battery terminals to guard against accidental shorting is a requirement during Vessel Inspections.
Mark
http://s1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc4 ... ew%20C-22/
1975 C-22 currently named Stardust (soon to be "Angela Marie")