Wire

Post All Electrical Topics Here
Nicknick32

Wire

Post by Nicknick32 »

What is the best wire I am supose to use to rewire my mast. should I use the same for the in side as well?

What can I get away with to save some money that wont burn the boat down?
A spool of house wire :)

Thanks, Nick

P.S My wife hates you all...........I seem to spend alot of money on my boat since all of your Ideas are good ways to up grade my boat..........Don't feel bad she hates me too LOL :lol:
astrorad

Post by astrorad »

You want to use something flexible...rubber covered SO cord, but it might add some weight...16 or 14 gauge stranded machine tool wire strapped together with nylon tie wraps...leave the tails on the tie wraps to dampen wire slap inside mast tube...or a plenum rated Belden 4 wire cable...with the tie wraps for dampening....just a few options
Bill
Nicknick32

Post by Nicknick32 »

Awesome and thank you Im doing the mast now and have taken some ideas from everyone. the problem is when I got in side the boat and looking at all the wire I thought it was a mess. So naturaly I started cutting and re fishing lines all over the place.............I think once again I have bitten off more than I can chew. april 18 is when my baby goes in the water so I guess i have to hustle.
trev
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by trev »

I would save yourself a headache down the road and use good tinned copper wire, and heat-shrink crimp terminals.

http://shop.genuinedealz.com/, they have the best prices I have found online and free shipping. They were recommended to me over on Sailnet.
77 C25
Myasis Dragon
http://www.svmyasisdragon.com
Coreth

Re: Wire

Post by Coreth »

Nicknick32 wrote:P.S My wife hates you all...........I seem to spend alot of money on my boat since all of your Ideas are good ways to up grade my boat..........Don't feel bad she hates me too LOL :lol:

I know the feeling! Could be spending on something worse though ;)
Best Wishes,

Corey
The Tigon - 1977 C22
Blog: SailingPugetSound.net
dubbinchris

Post by dubbinchris »

I just redid the wiring inside my mast. Go ahead and spend the money on good tinned wire. It will stand up to corrosion much better over time.

While this isn't a photo of my Chrysler mast it's when I did the wiring in a Siren I owned and the zip tie method mentioned above. I did this about every foot. It helps hold up the wire and keeps it from slapping around inside the mast.

Also as mentioned above use good marine shrink tubing with the adhesive inside. Surprising enough I found decent stuff at Harbor Freight.

Use good grommets where the wire exits as well.