Battery location - C-26

Post All Electrical Topics Here
NYCSAILOR

Battery location - C-26

Post by NYCSAILOR »

Yes, there is a thread on this somewhere but I could remember it but not find it... I remember windward has her battery under the companionway stairs... and that seemd to be the common location ...

I am trying to get the C-26 to actually STOP LISTING to port... so..

I have to do a complete electrical overhaul and I am thinking of placing TWO batteries , side by side, at the most aft end of the inside the starboard seating storagge.... they seem like they will fit well, the existing hatch would provide good enough access and there would be short leads to the electrical panel, VHF and steroe system that i will place in a wood panel mounted between the rear of the sette cushion back and the portlight... a larger panel might be ocated in the weird shaped storage recess behind the starboard cabin bulkhead...

anythoughts ? anything I am missing?
C-26, Fixed Keel # 343
Holiday

Post by Holiday »

Sounds like a good idea to me. I have a small ski locker hatch from a power boat that I put in over that location on Holiday. This is to make it easier to get batteries in and out. The big problem is there is not quite enough height for regular battery boxes. There was 140 lbs of iron bars in this location when I got the boat and it still had a little list. I figure that moving the battery from port to starboard should make up for about 120 lbs of the iron. I am in the process of removing the Formica from the head. I have already stripped it from the galley and painted it white. That should also help.
NYCSAILOR

Post by NYCSAILOR »

My ideal situation would be proper sealed and vented battery boxes but they batterries would fit in there w/o boxes and I would strap them down OR maybe place them end to end inthere parallel to the centerline of the boat.. this would give me more height and maybe room for boxes and also get teh weight closer to the centerline...

Problem might be that it DOES get wet in there as it is open to the bilge and when heeled over any water might cause a problem...

The OEM location is high and dry and close to the outboard.. but it is way aft aand port...

way to much weight aft ( outboard, crew, ) and port already.
C-26, Fixed Keel # 343
Holiday

Post by Holiday »

Looking at your post again I see you are putting your batteries in the aft end of the locker. I am puting mine in the forward end. You may have more height to work with. I agree that the factory location is close to the outboard but bad for sailing preformance and the listing problem. I have two other boats (one of the reasons the Chrysler project is taking so long) and on those I have been using sealed gel wheel chair batteries. These are 30 amp/hr batteries about the size of a motor cycle battery. They seem to work well for a bilge pump, led running lights and a depth sounder/fish finder at night. I use AA battery powered GPS and AM/FM radio. I may use two in the Chrysler 26 once it is ready to launch.
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Battery location - C-26

Post by EmergencyExit »

NYCSAILOR wrote:Yes, there is a thread on this somewhere but I could remember it but not find it... I remember windward has her battery under the companionway stairs...
Windward's post about battery location is here:
http://www.chryslersailors.com/discussi ... ery+locker

They were under the stairs as OEM, but were moved..