My trailer is sprung- I need to modify it to make it safer.

Post All Trailering Topics Here
WindDancer

My trailer is sprung- I need to modify it to make it safer.

Post by WindDancer »

The previous owner of my boat may have trailered it one too many times with the extended tongue out. The frame sags on both sides of the axle. I bought the boat at 11PM after a 12 hour drive to go look at it. I was more concerned about the boat and trailer tires and missed the trailer sagging until sunrise on the way home... :oops: The price was good and I'm happy with everything else generally. I'm toying with the idea of making the trailer a tandem (after some severe straightening)... any Ideas?
WindDancer
C-15 "Flying Goose"
C-22 " Dances With Wind"
mjt

C-22 trailer

Post by mjt »

I had similar problems with the original single axle trailer that came with my C-22. I investigated the options of straightening the frame and adding a tandem axle. Generally, the expense of the tandem axle and the work that would have been involved in repairing the trailer frame was more than I had wanted to spend. In addition, there were safety issues because it looked like no amount of reinforcing was going to guarantee that the trailer stayed together. So, I am now looking at buying a Yachtclub trailer - either model R2248T or R2447T should work for a C-22 with a swing keel - the only modification necessary would be extensions on the mounting brackets that hold the wobble wheel assemblies. Both trailers have a suggested retail price of less than $3,200.00. Yachtclub trailers are made by a company called Hawkeye Leisure Trailers in Iowa. They don't sell trailers directly, but can give you the name of a retailer in your state. Hope this helps.
Michael O'Brien

C-22 trailer

Post by Michael O'Brien »

For comparison, Trail-Rite Trailers (714)556-4540 make the Catalina 22 trailers, and I talked with them in December when I was searching for a trailer. It looks very similar to the Chrysler trailer, but not quite as heavy. They sell through dealers, but said the suggested retail price for a urethane painted, single axle, extended tongue model was $2,500. A galvanized version was $3,200. However, this only had a 2764 pound axle, but I understood there were production options for heavier, with a 3 week delivery. Shipping would be minimal or none from S. California if the dealer had an order to include it with, but by itself they didn't know. A Catalina dealer could probably give a quote. MHO
Radu

Post by Radu »

I have just ordered one from www.roadkingtrailers.com. ALuminum I-beam frame, torsion axle suspension, 2 axels with disk brakes on both, screw pads, tongue extension, stainles fastners etc. from Asheville, NC.
I hope it works.
Radu
mjt

Post by mjt »

I looked at the road kind website and their trailers look pretty good. I was wondering which model is best suited for a Chrysler 22 with swing keel? What sort of retail price do they have?