4 stroke OB motor experiences anyone?

Post All Outboard Topics Here
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

4 stroke OB motor experiences anyone?

Post by CaptainScott »

Hey all, I suddenly find myself in need of an outboard for my C22.
Historically I've owned 2 stroke Mercs and have loved them! I've had several over the years ranging from 2.5 hp to the current 15hp Merc and have loved each and every one for its own purposes. Extremely reliable and easy to work on! ALL 2 strokes.

However, I love the lack of noise in a 4 stroke motor. I really like the idea of not mixing fuel anymore. I'm also looking seriously at electric start. With Lady Jo, I pushed her around with an 8 hp 2 stroke Merc and that was plenty! However I will not go less than 8 hp. I have very serious tides and a river to deal with. I have found myself in need of a new motor and actually have funding! ( How rare is that! ) . Unfortuantely I can not go new. So alas, the used market has my attention.

So, with all that said, What do ya think about the 4 strokes? Has technology changed enought that I should avoid a nice one from the 90's? Stick to the later models? My gut says if the right MErc or Honda shows up, just get it! LOL! What about the others? Anything to avoid? Anything to look for? Oh yeah, this motor must be bullet proof. With reasonable care and maintenance, it MUST run.

So, if you were buying the ideal, ( used ) 4 stroke, what would you avoid and what would you look for?

Thanks in advance!

Scott
turbo1168
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by turbo1168 »

I haven't had a ton of experience with all the different brands of 4 strokers. My father has had 2 Honda 10hp engines and the current one is an 8 hp. He replaces them instead of doing repairs. The center section on both the 10hp's corroded badly due to the mounting system on his boat, a Hobie 33. The first 2 started on the first pull, too bad the current one is not so willing to fire due to the emissions controls. I have a 1997 9.9 Yamaha high thrust with the Mickey Mouse ear prop. It's not a speed demon, but it pushes the C-22 easily to almost 7kts with out sounding like its even working hard. It came with the first 22 we bought, and it has a few issues, none to do with the actual engine or lower unit. I pulled it off a while ago, changed the fluids, put a couple plugs in it, repaired the tiller handle, replaced the prop due to a spun hub and rigged up a shifter rod in lieu of the badly rusted cable. The Yamaha has 1 major downfall... THE WEIGHT! It's over 100lbs (closer to 115lbs with fluids), 20-30 lbs more than the Honda (at 78lbs). Electric start is great though, not that I mind the simplicity of a pull cord!
lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

Scott I would recommend a brand that I have worked with of Honda but remember with the advantages of 4 stroke the are significantly heavier than 2 strokes so before you go buying one look at your mount and make sure it and your transom are up to it. My personal preference would be Johnson or Evinrude but new the smallest is 15hp if you can find a new leftover you might be able to save money and their warranty goes from purchase date.
Catch the wind and ride the wave, Have fun
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34432376@N06/
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Yeah, the weight has me thinking.

A honda 8 & 9.9 weigh in at 98 lbs dry and the 15 hp jumps to 110 lbs so I'll probably stay smaller. These are the 20 long models.

I'm already assuming the replacement of the motor mount will be necessary. I have one that was likely put on in 76. It currently has a 12.9 Chrysler electric start motor that I'm not sure what I'm going to do with. I would love to make it run but time is not good. To much going on right now. May just end up selling it.

I sure appreciate all the input!

Scott
Jmckamey

Post by Jmckamey »

Just purchased a yamaha 9.9 extra long shaft, four stroke with electric start and the shifter on the tiller. The yamaha weighs in at 102 lbs and is the lightest four stroke in it's class. It is the high output model. The engine is a mid 2000 model with very little run time. Brand new they run about 3500.00 and I found this one locally for 1500. Still hurt my feelings, but I figure the motor can move with me if needed. She runs great. Windward is equiped with a 9.9 four stroke and I think Jeff loves it. You might message him for his input, wouldn't want to speak too much for him. Good hunting. :D
1977 Chrysler 22
Ground to windward is dearly bought, but easly spent.
mariner

Post by mariner »

I got a new tohatsu 9.8 long shaft with electric start... got it off the web.

http://www.tohatsuamerica.com/

It works great! highly recomended. very quiet!
p.s. Tohatsu makes other marine moters under different badges like mercury!
Last edited by mariner on Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:56 am, edited 4 times in total.
1976 - C22
"AnneMarie"
astrorad

Post by astrorad »

I purchased a Tohatsu at a marine dealer in Racine, WI that specializes in sail boats. Brand new last year...9.8 HP, long shaft, 4 stroke, electric start, high thrust prop, 4 blade, tiller steer....3 year warranty.

I have not even run it yet...boat isn't ready...lol...weight 98 lbs...also purchased Garelick transom motor mount, same style as original but 15 inch of vertical travel and holds more weight and torque. I believe that a heavier duty mount is necessary for a 4 stroke.

I was told that all Mercury motors 40HP and under are made by Tohatsu...just a different name plate and shroud...true or false???, I don't know.

Motor cost was $2100 new out the door.
Bill
lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

Question as I never looked inside a 22 is any more backing or bracing on the transom a mount is only as good as the transom it is mounted on we have a sailboat here that went into shore stern first in the storm and the mount held but there is a big square hole in the transom and the motor is being held by control cables and fuel lines.
Catch the wind and ride the wave, Have fun
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34432376@N06/
turbo1168
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by turbo1168 »

There is no extra bracing in the transom, but the glass layup is heavy on a C-22 and as far as I can tell, no coring. I have a 9.9 Yamaha hanging way off the transom and has been there for years according to the previous owner. I have stood on the engine bracket as well and I'm a big boy!
mcrandall
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mcrandall »

Mariner-

Where DO you get those avatars? Classic!
Mark
http://s1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc4 ... ew%20C-22/
1975 C-22 currently named Stardust (soon to be "Angela Marie")
mcrandall
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mcrandall »

My transom is a good 3/8 inch thick of solid glass and it does have a 1/2 inch wood backer for my motor mount, and it's all gelcoated in. OEM for sure on mine.
Mark
http://s1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc4 ... ew%20C-22/
1975 C-22 currently named Stardust (soon to be "Angela Marie")
gregcrawford

Post by gregcrawford »

My boat came with a 9.9 four stroke Honda with electric start and 10 amp charging. It will push it 5.4 mph at about one third throttle. I love it. But it is heavy. I first took it off the transom to trailer the boat so as not to strain the transom, but now put a ratchet strap around the motor and up around the rear pushpit brackets to take some of the weight off the motor mount. It is very quiet and uses very little fuel.
Greg Crawford
Knoxville, TN

1976 Chrysler 22 "Blues Image"

http://bluesimage.blogspot.com/
Traveler
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Traveler »

Scott,

I know you say you want a used motor but try onlineoutboards.com and see what prices you can get on a new Tohatsu. I got one a year ago and they shipped it in three days to my house free shipping. Tohatsu makes all Nissan and Mercury up to about 40hp so why spend more for a brand name? Anyway, four stroke is better than two for reliability when not used a lot. Both have pluses and minuses but I go for the 4stk with the newer motors. I am very satisfied with the ones I have now.

Let us know what you find.

Regards, Jeff
astrorad

Post by astrorad »

My transom motor mount has a wood backer glassed in OEM also. I will probably add a larger backer plate of some type when I mount the new Garelick mount.

My Tohatsu also has the alternator for charging battery. A remote conversion kit is around $500. Not sure I am going to do that.
Bill
gregcrawford

Post by gregcrawford »

I would surely like to have a remote set up. My boat had one at one time, you can see where a PO fiberglassed over the holes for the controls.

But I have found the ability to hang over the stern and steer just the outboard can really allow intricate manuevering that the rudder won't do.
Greg Crawford
Knoxville, TN

1976 Chrysler 22 "Blues Image"

http://bluesimage.blogspot.com/
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Well, I found a 2009 Tohatsu 9.8 within driving distance.
4 stroke, electric start and extra long shaft.

I've read Tohatsu makes the Mercs and Nissans. I love my Mercs so I will go look at the motor.

The owner cautioned me that it would be way over powering the C22.
Figure I prefer over power than under power. An 8hp of the same motor weighs the same so I figure why not have the extra.

Scott
mariner

Post by mariner »

69Shark wrote:Well, I found a 2009 Tohatsu 9.8 within driving distance.
4 stroke, electric start and extra long shaft.

I've read Tohatsu makes the Mercs and Nissans. I love my Mercs so I will go look at the motor.

The owner cautioned me that it would be way over powering the C22.
Figure I prefer over power than under power. An 8hp of the same motor weighs the same so I figure why not have the extra.

Scott
Go for it you will love the tohatsu! I too must admit I had a bit of paralasys by analysis regarding the motor mount, but in the end I just hung the new motor on the OEM mount and have not had any issues so far.... As for the power, you will not go wrong with the 9.8
1976 - C22
"AnneMarie"
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Well, I pulled the trigger on the tohatsu.
It is a 2009 9.9 Electric start, extra long shaft, 4 stroke, backup manual start, charging system, extended power lines, fuel line and even a small gas tank.

It sits nicely in my garage right now. I'll be hanging it on the boat in the next week or so as soon as I find some locks for it. I'll put a lock on the mounting screws and also wrap a stainless cable around it and through bolt it in the gas tank area. Won't stop a deparate theif but it will stop a common theif or theft of convenience!

I wanted a Honda or Merc. Since Tohatsu makes MErcs and it looks just like one, guess I just bought a cheap merc . . .

Scott
Windward

Post by Windward »

Sorry to be away for a bit -- wrapped up with home & work, and it's about to get worse (or better) as I spend a week in Michigan and then go sail the Pamlico Sound area.

I LOVE the Tohatsu 9.9 elec start / extra long shaft on Windward. I added the 5" pitch high thrust prop, which provides better stopping/backing power and lots of thrust. I tried the 7" high thrust, but with Windward's mass it didn't provide the kick I needed. I keep meaning to Craigslist the 7" prop, but continue to fail.

The 9.9 is the same as the 8.0, with a carburetor that permits the throttle to open fully. No reason not to go 9.9, since it should not affect your low and midrange efficiency and provides extra kick when the situation demands it. Many Tohatsus have a throttle limiter in the carb. I converted my 2.5 2 stroke to a 3.5 by swapping the carb, and the difference between the 4, 5 and 6 HP 4 stroke is just the carb.

On Pamlico last year I averaged about .71 gal/hr motoring, including idling in/out of anchorages, restrained runs through narrow channels and a flat-out push from Ocracoke to Oriental. I think I remember that being 8-10 nm / gal, but may be wrong there.

Only downside the the motor is the cover latch on the back, which is vulnerable to your stern anchor rode if you're anchoring both ends. I ended up adding stainless eye bolts on either side of the latch and simply zip-tie it securely. I also have a motor cover tether, in case I really screw up and it comes loose. While running in short, steep seas I've had the motor come down from the "up position" latch, so I also clip a line from the transom top to one of the eyes when I'm under sail.

Hope you love the motor.
Bobby

Post by Bobby »

I have been searching for a used motor but have not seen any 25" extra long shafts. Will a 20" long shaft work or would it just be wasting my money?
astrorad

Post by astrorad »

Bobby...I have the Tohatsu with the extra long shaft. I had my C22 out today on Lake Michigan and the waves were about 2 foot swells...my prop came out of the water occasionally and I have the Garelick motor mount with 15 inches of up/down travel. You definitely need a long shaft.
Bill
Reality

Post by Reality »

I bought the Tohatsu ultra long shaft 6hp for sailboats. Actual measured length is 27" from transom mount to cavitation plate. It's longer than the identical products badged as Mercury or Nissan. It's a great motor for the C22. IMO a 9.9 would be too heavy. I sail the Great Lakes with it.