Chrysler 26 motor mount

Post All Outboard Topics Here
Holiday

Chrysler 26 motor mount

Post by Holiday »

I got a chance this weekend to mount a 1987 Yamaha 9.9 4 stroke on the Chrysler motor mount. I noticed When I tried to tilt the motor the top hit the top of the motor mount hole. This suprised me I thought the sides would be the problem. I have seen several rebuilds on this sight where the mount was extended further from the transom. Has anyone seen a modification where the top of the mount and the hole in the transom were raised leaving the motor mounted closer to the transom?
Tommy Monaco

Post by Tommy Monaco »

I had a similar problem, and I don't know if this will help, but it very well may. When I rebuilt the motor mount and attached my 1996 yamaha 4-stroke, the cowling on top wouldn't make it all the way in, bumping the top, which sounds like the same problem you are having. It was really close to making it in, an inch maybe. So I loosened the stabilizing screws (?? don't know what to call them, the screws you dog down to secure the motor to the mount) all the way out and put a couple blocks of starboard on the outside of the mount between the mount and the outboard bracket. This increased the distance of the motor from the hull and that gave me just enough clearance to pull it up all the way. Then bolted the starboard to the motor-mount and dogged the stabilizing screw back down. If you only have a few inches to go, maybe give it a try. I don't know if I have any pictures or not, I'll look.
Holiday

Post by Holiday »

Thanks for the reply. That sounds like a great idea. I need to do some reenforcing and repair on my mount but that might make it much easier.
Holiday

Post by Holiday »

Thanks for the reply. That sounds like a great idea. I need to do some reenforcing and repair on my mount but that might make it much easier.