Old Honda outboard 5 amp charger- Safe for electronics?

Post All Outboard Topics Here
John K

Old Honda outboard 5 amp charger- Safe for electronics?

Post by John K »

Good morning! I wanted to ask for opinions on this so don't feel like your answer is binding. I am running an early/mid 80's Honda BF75S (7.5 hp) outboard and it has an onboard 5 amp charging circuit. I am wondering if it has sufficient voltage regulation and rectification to be used in circuit with stereos/phone chargers, solar panels, etc without frying them. Does anyone have any direction, opinions, or advice on the safety of this? Thank you!
1977 C22: Dog House
Paul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Paul »

Greetings John
I see you posted during the mid watch (0330??). That's either a fertile mind or the engineer in you is excited to work this out :wink:

I suggest you run your charger to your main battery. You can draw from there safely for all your items.

Others who actually know that about which they speak will undoubtedly chime in with additional, and helpful info.

Paul
Tranquil Chaos
John K

Post by John K »

Ha ha, I do work a very early shift. Ok, I checked the voltage running from it. The voltage is low until you rev it up pretty good, then (with an open circuit) it runs up to about 14 volts. I am assuming that it has some kind of diode to prevent the battery from backfeeding a charge into it at low RPMs. So, then I wired it up to the battery, cranked it up, and what a relief, my new stereo that I just installed (that's why I was a bit concerned) did not fry. My secondary worry was that it would create a lot of noise through the speakers, but it still sounds very clean with the motor running, so everything appears to be just fine. Thanks!
1977 C22: Dog House