New Tohatsu

Post All Outboard Topics Here
dcurtis

New Tohatsu

Post by dcurtis »

Hi everyone, this is my first post on this board.
I have a C26 and need to upgrade the outboard to 4 stroke ( the Sailor 250 is getting harder to fix) and am looking at a Tohatsu 9.8. I saw someone else saying it's a good motor, and it seems to be the smallest and lightest, but my question is:
Has anyone installed one without modifying the F/B motor mount. I restored mine and I hope it can take the extra weight. I also hope the top clears for pivoting , but this motor does have a ratcheting pivot.
Thanks and Fair Winds.
Whabadoo

Post by Whabadoo »

Just ordered the same. Some have added backing, extending the motor outward. Hoping that will work with this motor on my 26.

I have a Sailor 250 that I never got to run. Decided it was time to upgrade and start having FUN.
"Nebraska" is based on an Otos Indian word meaning "flat water"
dcurtis

Post by dcurtis »

Thanks for the reply Whabadoo. Yesterday I took my old Sailor 250 to the shop where I am ordering the Tohatsu and had a chance to hang it right beside a Tohat in for sesrvice. The hood on the Tohat is about an inch or so higher than the Chrysler, so it MIGHT just clear. Failing that, a piece of wood to extend the mount might just do it.
I also checked my motor mount, and in original condition, I am able to literally hang off of it with no stressing, so the weight of the motor is not an issue.
Good luck with your Tohatsu.
dcurtis

Post by dcurtis »

Whabadoo,
I just put my Tohatsu on the boat and the motor DOES NOT go all the way up! It hits the top of the opening on the transom. I tried first without the cover and it would not clear. Not even with a wood shim on the outside.
Luckily my dealer said I can leave the lower end in the water all summer (just keep brushing off the algae) without affecting my warranty. Guess I'll have to modify the motor mount but thats a winter project.

Dcurtis
Whabadoo

Post by Whabadoo »

Mine tilts up enough to get the prop out of the water on my C26. I just added a 3\4 spacer board on the outside of the mount.
dcurtis

Post by dcurtis »

Thanks for your reply Whabadoo.
On my motor, there is a ratcheting lift, ie, it goes up in 'stages', and that would be enough to get it out of the water. But in the case of my outboard, it has to go all the way up before it can go back down. My motor mount (an original Chrysler fiberglass ring/cowel) mounted into an opening cut into the transom, won't allow the motor to come fully up. My dealer says I would have to manually push the pin out of the way (I was having trouble trying to do this when mounting the motor), and I was having trouble even when trying to use wood spacers.
I guess there's something I'm missing, but I'll try the spacer thing again in the fall before I take the motor off for the winter (no time right now, boat's launching tomorrow).
Fair Winds and Happy Sailing.
Whabadoo

Post by Whabadoo »

I ordered my motor with electric Trim. I can stop raise lower at any point.