Maximum Outboard for Chrysler 22?

Post All Outboard Topics Here
Zac Penn

Maximum Outboard for Chrysler 22?

Post by Zac Penn »

I know in the manual it says maximum of 15 hp, but I am wondering why that is? Does it have to do with the motor weight, or the stress on the transom from more torque?

I am trying to find a good motor for my boat and stay under $500. There are a couple options, but I found a 25 hp for $400 and don't want to even think about it if the boat will be harmed.

If it has to do with the toque then I can keep it at half throttle (maybe even fabricate a governor to keep from over powering.
If it will just be too heavy then that is that ;)

I have what I believe is the factory motor mount...
Capt. Bondo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Capt. Bondo »

You realy don't need anything over 10hp. To much motor weight makes the stern lower in the water, and as the C22 speeds up under power the stern will squat even lower in the water. Under power, at hull speed the back of the engine cowling on my Sailer 280 is in the water :shock:
Also the stock motor mount could not handle a 25hp for to long.
H:)ppy Place
78 Chrysler 22

You can go to a Zen Master or you can go Sailing, either way you end up in about the same place..... a Happy Place
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Yeah, I agree, 25 is to much everything.
weight, torque, physical size, etc.

I'd rather hold out for a 10 or less. I run a 4 stroke 9.8 hp motor and THAT is to much for my OB bracket. I'm looking to replace it with a nice larger newer 4 stroke braket that will allow me to tilt the engine properly while sailing.

Scott
Zac Penn

Post by Zac Penn »

Okay thanks for the replies. I might have a lead on a 5.5 hp so fingers crossed.

I have also been toying with the idea of making my own motor with an old lawnmower engine and an outboard lower unit/leg whatever they are called. There are quite a few of those on YouTube and I am sure i could fabricate some kind of muffler for it so it wouldn't be so freaking loud. This will only be if nothing in my price range shows up and I really get antsy to get on the water.
tdupras

Post by tdupras »

Sorry for replying on such an old post.
In my experience I went from a 7.5 hp to a 5.5 hp (both 2 cycle). I only lost about 0.5 knots at maximum throttle but I went through about 1/3 less fuel. The 5.5 is excellent for getting from point A to point B but I found it lacking when it came to getting the boat over anything bigger than 6' swells. Later on down the road, tonight look for something closer to 9 hp.
Torrey Dupras
C22 Venetian Night