spraying my top deck!

Post All Paint, Fiberglass, Or Maintenance Topics Here.
Bhacurly
Site Admin
Site Admin

spraying my top deck!

Post by Bhacurly »

First off welcome to the new members!

Been busy prepping to spray my Catalima-27 project and will finally be doing it! Waisted a day looking to replace the belt on my compressor when it broke, then today a cool front blew in and we had blowing dust. But were taped up except for the last minute stuff and will start sprayin tommorow.

I sanded off all the old non-skid due to multple paint layers that were poorly applied. I also filled in the cockpit drain holes and will redrill when I find bigger scuppers than it had. Also glassed in where the old instrument panel was. I also had to repair a bad spot on the stern pulpit that had been poorly fixed in the past. Amazing how many hours have been spent hand sanding just in the cockpit area.

I decided on System Three products due to its safety aspect. The non-skid will be Kiwi grip. I'll post picts on flickr eventually, but am excited to start applying the primer. It will be my first time sprayin. I'm comfortable with mixing epoxy for glass work and fairing, but a wee bit anxious about getting it right for the next step!
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Good luck Billy!
Take lots of photos!

Scott
mcrandall
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mcrandall »

Make sure you're extra careful to protect your lungs, Billy! No accidents!!!

Good luck!

I'm not far behind you, but I'm going to roll and tip. It IS amazing how much time you spend on prep!!!

Cheers!
Mark
http://s1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc4 ... ew%20C-22/
1975 C-22 currently named Stardust (soon to be "Angela Marie")
NYCSAILOR

Post by NYCSAILOR »

I had this done... I found overspary coming in from around the main hatch boards// also you will have to figure out how to piant the "inside" of teh hatches... there is a lip that is really inside the boat but is really part of the outside deck gelcoat color... I decided to romove somthings and just mask others... otherwise I realized this was easily going to become a lifelong project if I had to remove and rebed everything...
C-26, Fixed Keel # 343
Mario G

Post by Mario G »

We did the roll & tip on our boat waiting atleast 8 hours between coats. We waited until they were dry enough to sand between coats and the resalts came out great.

Bhacurly
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bhacurly »

Well,

Pretty much every day off for last 3 weeks workin on this project boat and finally have the paint on for now. Have some touch up work to do... I was impatient spraying!! Got better as I went along but have a few runs to sand and make all pretty... Mario, I had thought about rolling and tipping, but with the weather getting cooler and where I work schedules are crazy, so it was a solo job. Didn't think I could get it all rolled and tipped by myself and have it look decent.

The System Three primer say's an it was correct, that it doesn't fill anything larger that a pinhole... and some of my hairline cracks didn't allow it to spread... the paint stopped "flowing" at the crack and would bunch up on the upper surface, or not make it across to the other side on vertical cracks. I ended up sanding and then applying there butter like putty, then sanding that and sprying again. A high bulid primer from some of the other paints would have covered more of those kinda imperfections in the hull, but that also is the toxic stuff I was trying to avoid for my set up.

Spraying tooo much paint was a bad habit also. That lead to most of my runs, along with lighting making it hard to see just how much I was applying and ended up with too much again, and another run. I should have just sprayed less and let future coats cover as it built up layers.

I have 3 coats of primer and 3 coats of paint on. The places where Kiwi Grip will be applied were sprayed with primer only. The weather has gotten much cooler and I'll have to wait for it to set up really well, then do a final fine grit sand. I'm hoping to get the non-skid on but the weather will determine that. May have to wait for spring.

SO here's a few picts:

IMG_0248 by bhacurly, on Flickr

IMG_0295 by bhacurly, on Flickr

IMG_0257 by bhacurly, on Flickr

IMG_0291 by bhacurly, on Flickr

IMG_0259 by bhacurly, on Flickr

IMG_0297 by bhacurly, on Flickr

If you really want more of this project, here's the link to the whole thing from start to current progress:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bhacurly/s ... 5542/show/
mcrandall
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mcrandall »

Sweet!! Looks so nice, I want to get to mine so badly--but mine'll be next spring I'm sure.

Nice! Way to go!!
Mark
http://s1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc4 ... ew%20C-22/
1975 C-22 currently named Stardust (soon to be "Angela Marie")
hp18carr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hp18carr »

I can't help myself but to get green with envy each time I see someone with access to a fully enclosed building to work on their projects in. :shock: I know it would cut down my project time by half at least. Oh well its one of those *&*&* if you do and *&*&* if you don't type of things. If I spent the money to build the building I could have just bought a sailboat not needing such an extensive overhaul and already be sailing, not having the funds for either... life goes on. (LOL) Nice work and photos by the way. The above observation is in no way a slight toward anyone with such a building. :wink:

Terrence
Wilmington N.C.
Chrysler 26' 1980
Pandora (for now)
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

looking great Billy!

Excellent work!!
Scott
lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

Looking real good Billy and I have to agree with Terrence I would love to be able to have an area inside to work.
Catch the wind and ride the wave, Have fun
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34432376@N06/
Bhacurly
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bhacurly »

Oh I love my shop!

If you looked at the slideshow you'd see I was out there with tarps an frames for a few tears, and when the snows an winds blow I'm glad I don't have to go out an knock it off all winter! There fine if you can get the job done fast, but we needed a hay cover an overhangs to protect the horse trailer,,, ( hint... ya see the first mate was made aware of the multiple benefits) It isn't the dream shop, not insulated and heated, so I had to compramise, but :D

I still get depressed when I look at all the work yet ta do, an had I known the market was gonna plunge, ya there's boats out there that don't need as much work for the $$, but unless you buy brand new, I feel it's best to go through all the systems and get rid of the crap. It's still 30 yrs old an needs a refurb, an when done I'll know that boat, like my C-22, inside an out.

:D