The worst windows I've see... and they are mine!

Post All Paint, Fiberglass, Or Maintenance Topics Here.
hp18carr
Site Admin
Site Admin

The worst windows I've see... and they are mine!

Post by hp18carr »

Photo # one, just a little something I throw together to give me a little weather protection as I work on the midsection.

Photo # two, the starbard window after initial removal... it looks a lot better than it did. The old dark P.G. will be replaced.

Photo # three, here you get a first look at the boat side framing after a little initial prep work.

Photo# four, :shock: :evil: here you get a close up look at just how bad the honeycomb has deteriorated in sections of the frame at spots forming voids @ three inches deep. I NEED HELP HERE!

Photo # five, this section of the frame has not deteriorated quite as bad, but the gold colored section must be where one of the P.O's used 5200 or the like... its hard as rock.

Photo # six, here you can better see the voids formed by the complete deterioration of the honeycomb. This is where I well need the most help from the Chrysler brain trust... What the *%#%@ can I do to properly fill the voids?

Photo # seven, here you can better see the honeycomb deterioration and the voids I'm speaking of.

Photo # eight, here you get the whole picture from the inside with the starboard window temp. installed.

Photos# nine and ten, more of the same, with this much honeycomb deteroiration plus the use of what seems to be 5200 in places what would be my best plan of attack.

ANY ADVICE WOULD BE MUCH APPRECISTED :idea:

Terrence
Wilmington N.C.
Chrysler 26' 1980
Pandar (for now)
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Looks a lot like my project one..a lot like it. And not that far from EE's either.

Somebody on the board did theirs by filling the voids with a thickened epoxy slurry. I'll see if I can't search it out..
sauerleigh

Post by sauerleigh »

I filled the area with 3M Bondo with fibers in it. I remember posting it a couple of years ago. You should fill all the way around the window opening.
1978 Chrysler 26 "Maudie Kay"
1984 Catalina 25 "REDUX" (rebuild)
It's better late than never
sauerleigh

Post by sauerleigh »

1978 Chrysler 26 "Maudie Kay"
1984 Catalina 25 "REDUX" (rebuild)
It's better late than never
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

i knew somebody had done a fill...details were just missing!!
hp18carr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hp18carr »

Thanks for the input guys; I don't wish to be seen as someone crying wolf... but what maybe old hat to most of you is new grounds to me :?

Terrence
Wilmington N.C.
Chrysler 26' 1980
Pandora (for now)
astrorad

Post by astrorad »

Terrence...I filled my window frames with thickened West System epoxy...go here to the welcome page http://chryslersailors.com/ and click on Gallery/videos/deadlight 1 and deadlight 2.
I show how I did it...works great !!!
Bill