metal paint or bondo???

Post All Paint, Fiberglass, Or Maintenance Topics Here.
Ice Cream Pirate

metal paint or bondo???

Post by Ice Cream Pirate »

Hi everyone,

I just pulled my c22 out of the marina after 2 months. I'm not sure if this problem was here before since it's my first few months with the boat.

The big metal "disc" that the rudder swings up and down on...mine has a few hundred little 1/16th to 1/8th inch deep pits on it from some sort of barnacle I imagine. Looks like I need a goopy silver protective paint. Any suggestions?

Secondly, my keel went in rust free, but now there are a hundred 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch rust spots all over the thing. It is also a bit bumpy. Should I scrape it up a bit with a wire brush attachment on a drill, then spray it with some zinc rust stopping primer, then put some sort of boat bondo on...or goopy black paint to fill the pits in? Any suggestions?

Oh, a bit off topic, but is there supposed to be a bulkhead separating the cabin behind the swing keel crank, from the aft storage area. Mine is just open right on back. Thanks again
David
CLS72

Re: metal paint or bondo???

Post by CLS72 »

can you post some pictures? will be easier to understand what you are describing :-)
Ice Cream Pirate

Re: metal paint or bondo???

Post by Ice Cream Pirate »

I found out that the aluminum has been victim of galvanic corrosion. I ordered a zinc, but the damage is already done. I'll try to post a picture.