C22 Lower Aft Stay

Know a good resource for part or supplies ? Post them here. This area is open for recommendations from board members only. NO COMMERCIAL ADS WITHOUT IMPLICIT PERMISSION FROM SITE ADMIN.
okchance

C22 Lower Aft Stay

Post by okchance »

Needing 1 lower aft stay for my C22. Anyone have one for sale or know of a place to get one? I've got a couple of broken wires in my starboard one.
1977 C-22 S/V Bailout
1962 Pearson Triton Tramp
astrorad

Post by astrorad »

I bought all of my standing rigging from Seco South, 2111 34th Way,
Largo, FL 33771 phone 727-536-1924
They had me send the old rigging after I had it adjusted with the mast up.
The rigging they supply is top notch stuff...better than original.
Bill
okchance

Post by okchance »

Was hoping to find a used one to save a little money. However, I may have to go that route.
1977 C-22 S/V Bailout
Reality

Post by Reality »

check out this eBay ad. Says he's parting it out. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1977-Chrysler-2 ... x9&vxp=mtr
okchance

Post by okchance »

Thanks, but I already checked. He got rid of them already.
1977 C-22 S/V Bailout
jsa

Post by jsa »

I replaced mine with Dyneema. It's just as strong and wear is more visible.
okchance

Post by okchance »

How did you connect the dynema to the chainplate and to the backstay?
1977 C-22 S/V Bailout
jsa

Post by jsa »

Honestly, right now it's just tied to it with bowlines. I know this reduces the strength of the line by aprox 40%, but it was kind of a temporary fix at the time. I noticed some serious fraying on the lower backstay in the crimping and needed it replaced that day so I could still participate in a race. You may have to get a little creative with attaching it.

I'm probably going to replace my rigging and lifelines over the winter and may have a better answer for you then. I'm definitely using dyneema for the lifelines. I may replace the whole backstay assembly with dyneema and leave the shrouds and forestay as cable to have the use of turnbuckles. I just thought I'd throw it out there as a quick and inexpensive fix to get you back on the water. It worked for me.

I know a lot of people that are replacing all of their standing rigging with dyneema. A friend of mine just replaced all of his on his Corsair 24 with dyneema. It's lighter, stronger than equivalent size cable, doesn't stretch much, self-lubricates, doesn't degrade in UV, has great abrasion resistance, and floats. Also, if it does fail it doesn't fling ripped metal back at you.

Here is a cool video comparing dyneema and cable:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDJ3QjvRZT0