Cockpit drain on 13' Pirateer

Special area for the smaller Chryslers - Musketeer, Buccaneer, Mutineer, Man O' War, Pirateer, Daggers, etc.
curtbrackenrich

Cockpit drain on 13' Pirateer

Post by curtbrackenrich »

I see two drain holes in the back of my cockpit, at first I thought the plugs were mising from these drain holes and was going to find some cork or rubber to seal them, but now I'm wondering if the holes are supposed to be open and then you pull the transom plug to drain the cockpit? So does anyone know if the cockpit drains into some other holding tank then eventually drains out the transom?
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I'm new to sailing and hope to get good on my little 13 ft pirateer then move up to a 22ft or maybe reach for a 26ft (I dare to dream).
Curt
Enjoying the lakes of northern Michigan!
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Welcome aboard ! If you didn't find it yet, you can get a copy of the manual diagrams by going to the main page at www.chryslersailors.com and looking under documentation, etc., down to your boat - I do see two plugs in those holes..also the specs from that same link says "Transom drain. "
curtbrackenrich

So to be clear, those two little holes should be plugged? I heard others say just plug all those self-bailing drains and bring along a big sponge.

What of the large black circular rubber thing on the back wall of the cockpit? I looked over the manual for this boat from your site, but it's really hard to tell what that is from the scanned copies I could find. It is cracked in 3 places, is that the auto-bailer? If so will it just let water IN at this point?

Thanks so much for your help on this, you guys are such a great resource for us new sailors, very much appreciated! Scott mentioned earlier in a thread you were great with this stuff.

I hope to take her out on my local lake tomorrow (fri), but don't want to flood myself out if that thing is going to leak really bad. I've never done fiberglass work, I hear it's not real hard but you can screw it up if you don't know what you're doing. Practice makes perfect right?
Curt
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

From what I see, they show them plugged. The large black one is an inspection port that lets you get to the hardware the rudder attaches to..I don't think it will let water in..
curtbrackenrich

Excellent, thanks again for the info. If I can get some time to finish figuring the rigging out tonight, I'll get her in the lake tomorrow, hopefully get a pic or two.
Curt