78 buccaneer forestay/jib setup

Special area for the smaller Chryslers - Musketeer, Buccaneer, Mutineer, Man O' War, Pirateer, Daggers, etc.
bookie60

78 buccaneer forestay/jib setup

Post by bookie60 »

Hi all. I am new to this forum. just bought a 1978 chrysler buccaneer 18. the boat is in pretty good condition but i cannot figure out the jib/forestay setup. i was given a wire luff jib with the boat but the boat also has a wire forestay. doesn't the jib luff wire replace the forestay in a wire luff setup? also there is no furler. i am thinking of replacing it with a harken unit for small boats. the biggest thing that has me confused is whats going on under the forward deck. there is a length of stainless wire with an eye on one end that passes through a small chunk of plywood that is laying loose , then a small stainless piece that is screwed to the plywood, then a block attached to the bow of the boat, then back through an 18" piece of aluminum "L" bracket with a small grommet on it that is also just laying on the floor. then it passes through a guide block that is also just laying there not attached to anything and finally to the highfield lever mounted just forward of the mast step. i assume the forward eye should attach to the bottom of a furler and the run through the wire mounted block on the bow and the back to the highfield lever, but i don't understand the small piece of plywood or the aluminum bracket or the extra blocks that aren't attached to anything. also the boat has a "magic box" on the mast that I assume is to further tension the forstay. could anyone possibly take some pictures under their forward deck to help me decipher my mystery pieces. any help would be greatly appreciated. thanx.
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

FIRST,
Weolome to the forum!

I've never had a buc but I'd to have one for or a while! So guess Im not much help! However we have docs on the buc! Go to our main page!
If you have not already been there, try chryslersailers.com and follow the menus!

Welcome!
Scott