New Pirateer owner, daggerboard question

Special area for the smaller Chryslers - Musketeer, Buccaneer, Mutineer, Man O' War, Pirateer, Daggers, etc.
everphilski

New Pirateer owner, daggerboard question

Post by everphilski »

I just bought a Pirateer last weekend and I have a question about the daggerboard. It goes into the slot just fine but wants to pop up, theres no retention mechanism that I can see.

Looking at the manual there is a "snubber hose" listed as part 829164, ref. no. 34... is this some sort of retention mechanism? Can someone describe it to me as the scanned manual I have is not very clear.

On my boat the daggerboard trunk cap, the piece of wood where the daggerboard is inserted, is cracked and missing the front 3" or so where the snubber hose would be located.

I'm sure I can rig something up just curious how it's supposed to work.

Otherwise the boat is in great shape. I took it out last weekend with my wife and kids but the wind was very low, got a few gusts but had to paddle back home. Excited to take it out in some wind this weekend!

philip
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Welcome aboard!
Lets see if we can get a response from a Pirateer owner!
I can suggest methods but what was original I do not know!

Scott
DGA

Post by DGA »

I think the snubber nose is the piece of rubber tubing screwed down at the front of the trunk inside the wood base. Mine was stiff and I replaced it with a piece of silicone hose. Seems to need to add pressure against the front of the daggerboard.
Pirateer

centerboard not staying down

Post by Pirateer »

Mine has a short piece of bungees on starboard side of centerboard trunk. This goes over top of centerboards and hooks onto fitting on port side of trunk
If the wind is right, go sailing.
bzickuhr

Re: New Pirateer owner, daggerboard question

Post by bzickuhr »

I know this is an old question, but I had the same problem on the new ('76? '77?) Pirateer we just got, and had a different solution.

I unscrewed the wood topping on the trunk, cut a piece of mountain bike inner tube to fit, slapped it on top and screwed the wood topping back on - through the inner tube. Then I sliced a slit down the middle of the tube, and it was enough resistance that the daggerboard stays put just fine.