Newb with a Pirateer, need help with rigging.

Special area for the smaller Chryslers - Musketeer, Buccaneer, Mutineer, Man O' War, Pirateer, Daggers, etc.
jollycorsair

Newb with a Pirateer, need help with rigging.

Post by jollycorsair »

I bought a 76 Pirateer and need help with the rigging. I've read the manual but don't understand the sailing terms and the pictures are not clear. I took a video of the rigging in my yard and I'm not sure about how to tie down the aft side of the main sail and there is also a little string on a shackle that slide forward and aft on the boom that I'm abit puzzled as to where it need to be tied to.

Unfortunately I can't upload the video to youtube from my phone, if any of my fellow sailers can help it would be much appreciated.
76 Pirateer
jollycorsair

Post by jollycorsair »

76 Pirateer
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Good morning jollycorsair,

If you take a look at the manual on our documents page, take a look at the second copy! The first copy is better resolution but the second has better detail.

After opening the second manual link, scroll down to page labeled "Detail - G"

There you will see a photo of what I believe you are asking.

Let me know if this helps!

Scott

FYI, Chrysler sailboat documents and manuals are the link in my signature!
jollycorsair

Post by jollycorsair »

I got it together, thanks for your help. I sailed it today with just the jib and things went well till the wind picked up, at that point the boat would only sail downwind and I couldn't do point to point up wind. Maybe it's cause I only had the jib up or something but the wind overpowered the rudder. Had to paddle up wind for 1 hour back to dock, most embarrassing. I can't take a sailing class due to work schedule :(
This tippy little boat scared me that is why I didn't raise both sails.
76 Pirateer
boaty

sail selection

Post by boaty »

It seems to me that if you were only planing to run one sail that the main sail would, or should perform better by its self than a head sail would. Like you were saying the rudder was being over powered, because all of the power was at the front of the boat. The main sail alone would balance the power better. From my understanding when sailing into the wind the jib sail or other head sail enhances the performance of the mail sail by increasing the air floe over the outward curve of the main sail causing more lift. The main sail should produce enough lift by its self to sail at most point of sail.
I had a 12' sea flight that only had a main sail. Now I have a C26 and if I'm sailing single handed an the breeze is up, I only run the main.
Hope that helps
Boaty
C Hilden
1973 Luger South Wind 21
1977 C26 Sweet Dreams
1981 Irwin 37 MKV CC
jollycorsair

Post by jollycorsair »

Your right boaty, I guess I assumed I could sail like that after watching this guy sailing his pirateer on jib alone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FC6-E2_jmCg

I was able to get some speed with the wind to my broad side (not sure of the proper term) but I lost it on the close haul.
76 Pirateer
jollycorsair

Post by jollycorsair »

What a fun little boat, here my son is on the tiller and I'm on the sheets, keep in mind I'm still very new at this.

http://youtu.be/fcA7nHEFJ_U
76 Pirateer
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Nice videos!

Looks like you have the rigging sorted out!

Thanks for sharing!

Scott
jollycorsair

Post by jollycorsair »

Thanks for the help and docs Captain. That's my third time sailing ever, I just watched an instructional video and went for it!
76 Pirateer
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Looks like great fun ! Hey, if you don't have a safety line/chain tied between the motor mount and the trolling motor, do consider it..don't ask how I know you need one, but I will say there's a brand new MinnKota you can have free...if you can find it in the 30 feet of water under the point I last saw it.. :roll:
jollycorsair

Post by jollycorsair »

Thanks for the advice, I was also curious as to how to secure the battery. I tied the battery handle to a loop on the floor of the boat but it looks kind of sketchy. I've only had to use the motor at about 100-200 yards from the launch to do all the power boats clammering for ramp to get in or out.
76 Pirateer
Carpenter Dan

Pirateer rigging

Post by Carpenter Dan »

Ahoy jollycorsair!
It appears from your video and your previous one posted on another thread that you are missing a block at the rear of your boom. Rather than try to describe it, I will take some picture of my rigging when I go out to Lake Mead over the weekend and upload them as soon as I can.
I also have a question for you. my Pirateer can without the spreaders for the mast stays. I made a set out of aluminum round stock but I had to guess at the length. Can you help me out?
Thanks!
Sails are just like wings. The wind can make them sing. Songs if life. Songs of hope. Songs to keep your dreams afloat. - Jimmy Buffett/Alan Jackson.
77 Pirateer
Las Vegas, NV
jollycorsair

Post by jollycorsair »

Hey Dan it's 18" long and 1/2" diameter. What's the piece I'm missing again? I noticed in high winds I have to pull really hard on the main sheet to keep it trimmed nice. I wonder if that missing part would help with that?
76 Pirateer
Carpenter Dan

Post by Carpenter Dan »

Hello jollycorsair,
Sorry, but I didn't make it out to the lake over the weekend - so no pix. I'll do my best to explain it - so here goes:
At the back end of your boom there should be a pulley with an extra loop at the bottom. You want to tie one end of your main sheet to that loop. Then run it down through the pulley on the bridle (the rope that goes across the boat at the back). Then run it up through the pulley at the back of the boom, forward on the boom and through the pulley with the cam cleat that is about halfway on the boom. This is the correct rigging. As you are sailing you can cleat off the main sheet there to free up a hand for a minute or two (I sail single handed, so this is an advantage). Also this gives you a 2:1 purchase (sailor talk for mechanical advantage). The way you have it rigged now you are 1:1 (you vs the wind). Hope this helped, if not I'll send pix when I can.
Thanks for the info on the spreaders, but is the 18" the overall length or the distance from pin to cable?
Sails are just like wings. The wind can make them sing. Songs if life. Songs of hope. Songs to keep your dreams afloat. - Jimmy Buffett/Alan Jackson.
77 Pirateer
Las Vegas, NV
jollycorsair

Post by jollycorsair »

Thanks for the help Dan, no wonder my arms were so sore after a day of sailing.
76 Pirateer