Dagger drain plug

Special area for the smaller Chryslers - Musketeer, Buccaneer, Mutineer, Man O' War, Pirateer, Daggers, etc.
PhacopsRana

Dagger drain plug

Post by PhacopsRana »

I'm new to sailing (and chrysler's). I just bought a boat off of a neighbor across town, and during transport the drain plug fell out. Everything else is ready to go, any advice to get me out there?

I bought a generic 1 inch off of amazon, which arrived today, but it is too big.
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Do you by chance have a West Marine close by? They have a good selection and might let you drag the boat to the store and test fit!

Scott
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Also I needed one for the Coronado C15 I have, and found out that Walmart carries some plugs meant for baitwells in 1/2. 5/8, and 3/4 sizes.

Look for "Shoreline Marine Deck and Baitwell Plugs"
Paul T

Post by Paul T »

I believe the plug is a 5/8" drain plug. I used a brass adjustable (expandable) plug from a hardware store, $3 or so. Cheap fix.

Not a dinghy sailor myself, I bought a Dagger couple of months ago, had not been in water for some time. Needed a mast step, small sail repair, a couple of blocks and mainsheet. Came w/trailer, put new bearings in it, fixed small f/g dings on hull. Mast has a torsional twist in it, perhaps 15-20degress, but since I don't race it the twist is not a concern. Perhaps put a strap wrench on it end of season and straighten, as Kenyon no longer makes this section and superceded it with (what they say is) stronger section.

Set-up is quite easy, I can step the mast myself, very quick w/2-people. Then set up boom, pin the rudder, hoist sail and you're off. I must say this boat is a blast. Very responsive and fast in light air, it is lots of fun. We've had 2 adults and 2 kids on board at one time, usually sail w/2. Have not been in any heavy air yet. I imagine the Dagger would scream. Just like they say - a Laser on steroids, and room for 2.

Only drawback (for me)as I see it is centerboard, a swing-up would be nice for lakes w/shallow spots, but then you add structural weight. Keep an eye on shallow spots and you're all set.

BTW-mine came w/factory self-drain scupper which leaks, so we carry a bailer (what dinghy doesn't). I'm sure scupper is also source of water entry inside hull, we seem to accumulate 1/2 gallon after 2-3 hr of sailing. So make sure to tip your trailer and drain hull after use. You have to expect some small problems on a 37 yr boat.

Best part - I'm into this boat for less than half the cost of a well-used Laser, and can enjoy it with the kids.
milosofmolas

Re: Dagger drain plug and mast step

Post by milosofmolas »

Hi - got a Dagger this spring. Been having a blast. But, the mast step was missing and I am trying to rig something up. Curious as to what you ended up using for a mast step as I have not been able to figure out a way to step the. mast by myself. Right now, just using a 3/8" thumb screw mounted in the deck plate....takes two people to align things.

Thanks for any input/pics you can send!

RMilofsky@Gmail.com