Oh no..... is my hull collapsing?

Special area for the smaller Chryslers - Musketeer, Buccaneer, Mutineer, Man O' War, Pirateer, Daggers, etc.
BaderBob

Oh no..... is my hull collapsing?

Post by BaderBob »

Hello all. I took advantage of the beautiful weather today to do some more evaluations on the Buccaneer day sailor that I recently obtained and things were looking pretty good until I took a closer look at the hull. This boat has been sitting on the trailer for 4 - 5 years and where the hull sits on the bunks, it is depressed by about 2". It is visibly obvious that the area has been pushed in and I am wondering if this is normal, or am I looking at some structural issues. I took pictures, but don't know how to include them in my post.

Can anyone tell me if I should be concerned about this and if not, is this something that is usually repaired?

Thanks for your patience with a new, aspiring sailor.

BB [/img]
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Hi Bob,

This might be a case of the hull oil panning.

Before you give up hope, there is the possibility the hull can be simply pushed back into place. I've seen several Catalinas like this. It is fairly common when a boat sits full of water that the hull pops inward from the weight. Sometimes it can simply popped back.

I've not had personal experience with this issue though. I would however look seriously into if it could just popped back!! Not on cold days though.

Good luck!

Scott
Reality

Post by Reality »

I'd find a heated garage to put it in for a few days and see what happens
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Reality wrote:I'd find a heated garage to put it in for a few days and see what happens
and with the weight off the bunks too..

I had this issue with the Cal 21 due to the bunks being too narrow and for that reason all the load was on a narrow bunk edge depressing the hull. On that boat the oil canning never went away, but I did spread the load out on a wider and longer bunk to keep it from getting worse
BaderBob

Thanks for the input.....

Post by BaderBob »

Thanks for the feedback. I'm beginning to think I have walked in to a situation that is much worse than I anticipated. I now see that the trucks on the trailer are positioned so the boat sits more on the corner than on the flat side of the piece. This certainly doesn't help my case for the indentations I am seeing on the hull.
Unfortunately, I don't have access to a garage that is large enough to house the boat and trailer, so trying to warm them is off the table until the weather cooperates.
I will also need to lift the boat off the trucks to inspect it and also, to see if i can return the hull shape to normal.

The boat was made in '79 and needs some obvious work, so I find myself beginning to wonder whether I should sell off the sails, boom, mast, etc to recoup some of the cost of the boat and cut my loss.

To help with this alternative thought, does anyone know/think there is demand for this stuff? I am trying to evaluate my alternatives and any help is welcome.

Thanks again
BB