Boom Vang Installation

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
matt

Boom Vang Installation

Post by matt »

Hey folks,

I'd like to install a boom vang on Elixir (C22) this season. I picked up a 4:1 kit from our local supplier. My question for the group:

Is there a specific angle one should try to achieve between the mast and the vang? That is, I intend to mount it to the base of the mast, but how far down the boom from the mast should I install the bail (I think that's what such a loop is called)?

Does anyone have any other advice/experience regarding boom vangs on C22s?

Thanks!
Matt
NYCSAILOR

Post by NYCSAILOR »

see;

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/racing-ar ... vangs.html

very helpful..general article

"That center of effort is the best location of attachment to the boom however, it changes on different points of sail. It moves forward running downwind, is centered when reaching and moves farther aft when close-hauled"

this is a good item too...
http://www.sail-world.com/CruisingAus/i ... ickerCID=0

I need a BV too but I am not sure about a rigid vang vs. a topping lift..stil undecided
Bhacurly
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bhacurly »

Hi Matt,

I hope to be heading out to mine in the next day or so. I will measure it and let you know where mine is mounted any way.

Billy
matt

Post by matt »

Thanks guys. A rigid vang seems a bit much for the sailing we do on our little C22. Plus, on our boat we have a loose footed sail with a boom that's allowed to twist. I think if you had a rigid vang, you would limit the boom from being able to twist.

Billy, a measurement would be great! thanks!

Matt
kokezaru

Post by kokezaru »

From my observations of a number of boats that I have crewed on or chartered, and looking at my own C26, the location of the vang is at 1/3 the length of the boom measured from the mast.
--Richard

'77 Chrysler C26 "Imori"
HJakl

Post by HJakl »

Boom Vang is generally used to shape your sale ( give it right twist ). works together with traveler and really it makes difference when is set right even on small C 22. I had one for few years. Now on my 26 have no traveler, setting the sale is more difficult. But I am using the boom vang going down wind to keep the main flat. Or when going wing to wing using vang to lock the main fully open when is only light wind, ( note: could be dangerous )
Captain Cvock
Chrysler 26
NYCSAILOR

Post by NYCSAILOR »

So capn'

with wing / wing... do you move the bottom of your vang OFF the mast step and relocate it on the toe-rail track with a snap shackle to hold your boom out there?

I am planning a line and block (soft) vang so the locaiton measurements would help me too.

I had a traveller on my J30 and it is great for setting the sail for some real power...curious how we would do this set-up on the c-26... on a bridge deck over the campionway
HJakl

Post by HJakl »

Yes, I move the vang to toe-rail to keep man open as much I can. Again in light wind only. and I have extra line to shackle to open the lock from the cockpit.
There is the trick for "Traveler " on c 26, use TWO main sheets still in "V " configuration, and than you can " of set" the main. More complicated, more work, and I never really did try it.
Captain Cvock
Chrysler 26
matt

Post by matt »

I like the idea of shackling the vang to the to rail, that's clever! You say in light wind only, but wouldn't it act as a gybe-preventer in heavier wind?
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

NYCSAILOR wrote:So capn'
..curious how we would do this set-up on the c-26... on a bridge deck over the campionway
As I recall Windward is set up just as you mention.
Bhacurly
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bhacurly »

Hi Matt,

I measured 45" from the mast to the boom vang screw holes. So it is pretty much 1/3 of the distance...

Billy
matt

Post by matt »

Thanks! It's a plan!