Dropping the mast

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
somers12

Dropping the mast

Post by somers12 »

Question One: I've gotten into the habit of loosening the turnbuckles whenever I drop the mast with the belief that I'm preventing excess stress on the chainplates, shrounds, and the maststep. Not doing this would easily save me a half an hour retensioning on setup. What's your experience, and recomendation?

Question Two: If I were to fit a hinged mast step, would I still have to use the bridles, or is the step broad enough to prevent mast sway on setup? If I do, I can't see it's benefits.

Thanks... Steve
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

There are differing opinions here but when I drop the mast I never disconnect the turnbuckles. I see no stress points that are of concern to me. Your experience may differ.

When I step the mast without the bridles I use 3 people. Me on the boat and two pulling halyards. The mast step hinge helped emensly in keeping the bas of the mast in place and not slipping out. HUGE difference for me.

When I step the mast single handedly I use the bridles and have always used a hinge so I can not compare to bridles without hinge.

Just my two bits!

FYI, I had one boat with a hinge and one without. I attempted to step the mast ONCE without the hinge. I now have two boats with hinges.

Scott
somers12

Post by somers12 »

No, I don't disconnect the turnbuckles, I just reduce the tension, then retension on setup. My tensioning guide is simple: No more than one inch movement from side to side, when I test it with my hand. It seemed to work well in several major blows we've had where I sail.

So, you still use the bridles with the hinged step. I guess that question is answered, since I've never had a problem with the mast slipping out of the step hook on setup. Head scratcher ?

I suppose the first question depends on how much tension you have on your system. It's more or less what I expected.

Steve
NYCSAILOR

Post by NYCSAILOR »

anyone use a hinge on a c-26, I would assume it would be suitable, I can imagine a set-up where the deck step hinge bolts right through to a fixed top plate of a steel compression post in the head that then bolts down to a stringer in the hull
HJakl

Post by HJakl »

C22 is much easier, C 22 have only two shrouds and I was able to lower the mast with out disconnecting turn buckles.
26 have 3 shrouds on each side, and front one are offset to front to help keep mast at position. I was never able to lower mast with out disconnecting them.
To use the hinge, in my opinion there would be so much stress at this point that it would be very unsafe.
Proper setting on calbe "A" frame works great.
Captain Cvock
Chrysler 26
NYCSAILOR

Post by NYCSAILOR »

Thanks, I agree, explains why I rarely see hinges on larger deck-stepped sloops.
javelin

Post by javelin »

yes, you have to remove both front stays and just loosen the back two stays. I put too short bridles on either side of mast just to prevent wobble and the mast readily and easily comes down.
matt

Post by matt »

On our C22, we never used to loosen the turnbuckles prior to stepping or lowering the mast. This year we invested in all new shrouds and turnbuckles, so it was a bit of a wonder as to how much slack there'd be once she was up.

We don't have a hinge, just the old hook.

Honestly, I haven't even tried using bridles yet, either. I usually just get 3 friends to help. I put two in the cockpit to watch for snags and to help guide her up, another on the deck to guide the jib furler, and I'm usually on the deck operating the sheet.

We only take the mast down once at the end of the season and put her up once at the start of the next. As such, we've only done it a few times, but each time, we get a little better at it.