Ahoy, mates--proud new owners!

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
WayneL

Ahoy, mates--proud new owners!

Post by WayneL »

Wayne and Lynn are happy to announce today we purchased a 1980 Chrysler sailboat lying in Fort Myers Beach, FL. Both of us think we got a steal at $700, because the boat is complete, not in bad shape at all, with really nice sails. It's going to need some work, but we're experienced, so it shouldn't be too bad.

Unfortunately, no trailer. Fortunately, we live on a canal in Cape Coral, FL and have a boat lift. Unfortunately, there is no motor, and right now appears none to be had in the area. (Ok, so a guy offered to make a 9.9 Evinrude a long shaft, but at $550 it feels a little steep.

The only thing worrying Lynn is some softness in front of the galley at the foot of the steps, which may or may not be wet from below, or from wet carpet.

My only concern is the shape of the rudder, which I'm afraid to test before we get her home.

We're all ears if anyone has any tips for us. There is a ring in the slot on the mast at the step I can't find any information on. How heavy is the mast? We've got to lower it in order to get under the bridge to get home.

Best wishes.
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

How COOL is that ??? (I sound like that guy on Trading Spaces TV show)..congratulations..and I thought we got a steal on the EE !!

Check under the carpet at that soft spot...I had a bit of what looked to be delam going on right there on ours..right where the keel pocket seems to fair into the sole...I wondered if someone grounded the swing keel on ours and it had kicked/slammed up right there...(any ideas anyone ?) it never is wet, but I'm working on it next weekend

BL
www.canufly.net/~boydleake
WayneL

Post by WayneL »

Sounds exactly the same. Wonder if this is a problem common to all? There is no carpet, just pieces of carpet the previous owner put on the deck because he got tired of replacing carpeting every year, he said. We'd like to do a teak and holly sole like we've seen in pictures.

We may be better off hauling it out and doing some inspection and work as it might not be possible to do the work while on a boat lift over the water. $$$

The hole in the water is now open and we gotta start pouring in the money.

Wayne
Rich

Post by Rich »

WOW! ONLY $700, and the boat's complete (shy of a trailer) I AM GREEN WITH ENVY! :mrgreen:

So far as lowering and raising the mast goes, you use the gin-pole method. The boom comes off and there should be a pin that you put in the base of the mast and attach the boom with. If you are going to have to raise and lower the mast frequently, I'd make a seperate Gin Pole, so you can raise and lower the mast without taking the boom off.

Considering you live in Florida I'd think it shouldn't be too hard to find a decent 8 to 10 horse power motor. I'd go with Extra Long shaft if I were you, and preferably a sail model (they are geared better for pushing sailboats. )
"Yeah, God's given us this beautiful day. Let His Spirit fill your soul like the wind in the sails!" -Walkin' on the Docks
WayneL

Post by WayneL »

I'll figure it out. Probably come up with some Rube Goldberg device that overly complicates it. Or, ruin my back because I still think of myself as being the same guy who once had hair.

Wisdom is what Mother Nature gives you for your hair.

Didn't know that about motors. Didn't realize there was a difference between sail and simple long shaft. Have a guy in a shop who says he can make a 9.9 Evinrude into a long shaft in an hour. Wants $550 for it. I could ask him about the gearing, but I think it's a bit high for a '95. Every place we've gone to has said, "you should have been here a week ago. Had one that sat here for months." Ain't it always.

Best wishes.
SteveS

Sounds Great

Post by SteveS »

Wonderful deal! I'm only slightly further along the prossess you started and my wife and I are having a ball. We bought a Chrysler 22 in February, in great shape, ready to sail, with a good running late 80s vintage evinrude outboard, but without a trailer. So after looking for a good used trailer for two months, my wife found one online, for $700. Only problem, it had a chrysler 22 on it. So now we have two boats and one trailer. We've decided to do a complete restoration on the second boat. It has a tall mast, spinaker rig, five sails, and upgraded hardware. Mostly it needs cleaning, painting, new cushions and curtains. At least we have a boat sail while we're working on the other. The project boat is on the trailer, the ready to sail boat is in a slip ready to go, so we've been able to get out a couple of times a week. Great to be able to sail a couple of hours after work.
WayneL

Post by WayneL »

You betcha, Steve. I'm on the fence right now as to where to keep the boat. Experience will make that decision for us. We can keep it in the canal behind the house for nothing but the time it will take to motor out, under a bridge, and step the mast and raise sails. An hour, perhaps. Or, $200 a month for a slip, but get out sailing in half the time? I work a lot and time is more than money. However, the thought of spending $50 per sail is not so good.

You've got the best of all worlds. A project while you still sail. Much like we've got. Good luck on the project. A rule of thumb. Everything costs twice as much as you think, and takes four times as long. :)